Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > reformat hard drive

reformat hard drive

Jae Ellison

I have labtop that I was given to me by a friend and the laptop has
problems. It freezes alot and is extreamly slow. So I upgraded to XP(was
2000 before). However, it still has many problems including freezing and
users on non-existent network that are administrator so I cannot remove
these users. So I decided to reformat the hard drive. The problem I have
is that I only have external CD drive, NO floppy, so I cannot create boot
disk. I've researched on reformating the hard drive and I think I got the
solution but it does not work yet.

First I chaged the boot sequence on my BIOS. At least it looks to me that I
did, since CD is the first in the list. After I changed boot sequence, I
reboot my PC and hope that the PC will reboot from the CD drive, but did not
work. I have windows XP installation CD in my cd drive. Finally I tried to
reformat my C drive by using format command format c: /fs:ntfs at the run
prompt, and my computer frozed. I am not sure my PC froze because of the
reformat command or it frozed because it does that quite often.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Jae Ellison

DeMoN LaG

"Jae Ellison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> work. I have windows XP installation CD in my cd drive. Finally I
> tried to reformat my C drive by using format command format c:
> /fs:ntfs at the run prompt, and my computer frozed. I am not sure my
> PC froze because of the reformat command or it frozed because it does
> that quite often.

If the machine is freezing in both windows 2000 and windows XP it more than
likely has a serious hardware problem, either failing components or it is
overheating. Reformatting is not likely to fix anything.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk