Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Networking W2K, Help, Please!!

Networking W2K, Help, Please!!

nunu

Hi,

I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using Netgear
wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet connection on
both, but not able to share files with each other.

Here's what I have done:

1. I created the Workgroup name on each
2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it

What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer

thanks,

Duane Arnold

"nunu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c9lbeo$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using
> Netgear wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet
> connection on both, but not able to share files with each other.
>
> Here's what I have done:
>
> 1. I created the Workgroup name on each
> 2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
> 3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
> 3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
>
> What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
>
> thanks,

It may be due to the WEP or WAP if it's enabled and the use of NetBEUI as
the protocol. Have you tried disabling the security encryption to see if
you can make the connection?

If WEP or WAP is the problem, then you may need to switch to NWlink
IPX/SPX NetBIOS compatible on all machines, which is a routable protocol.

If using NetBIOS, you should protect the NetBIOS networking ports on the
LAN with a host based firewall on all machines. But that's after you get
the connections to work.

If that doesn't work, then you can try alt.internet.wireless.

Duane

Trent©

On 02 Jun 2004 15:57:12 EDT, "nunu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using Netgear
>wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet connection on
>both, but not able to share files with each other.
>
>Here's what I have done:
>
>1. I created the Workgroup name on each
>2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
>3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
>3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
>
>What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
>
>thanks,

Can you ping each way? Did you disable any firewalls?

If you can ping, did you set up user accounts on each machine?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Wiz

Netbeui has nothing to do with it, and ipx has it's own set of problems.

I'm not clear if the user has a router or is using adhoc.

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "nunu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:c9lbeo$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using
> > Netgear wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet
> > connection on both, but not able to share files with each other.
> >
> > Here's what I have done:
> >
> > 1. I created the Workgroup name on each
> > 2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
> > 3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
> > 3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
> >
> > What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> It may be due to the WEP or WAP if it's enabled and the use of NetBEUI as
> the protocol. Have you tried disabling the security encryption to see if
> you can make the connection?
>
> If WEP or WAP is the problem, then you may need to switch to NWlink
> IPX/SPX NetBIOS compatible on all machines, which is a routable protocol.
>
> If using NetBIOS, you should protect the NetBIOS networking ports on the
> LAN with a host based firewall on all machines. But that's after you get
> the connections to work.
>
> If that doesn't work, then you can try alt.internet.wireless.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

Wiz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Netbeui has nothing to do with it, and ipx has it's own set of
> problems.
>
> I'm not clear if the user has a router or is using adhoc.

I think if the person is using Netgear in the sentence, then most likely
a Netgear router is being talked about. I could be wrong too.

In addition, if someone is having the issue of not being able to share
resources between machines in a wireless situation with WEP (have not use
WAP), then switching to NWlink IPX/SPX NetBIOS certainly does solve the
issues.

I have faced that issue on not being able to share resources as Linksys
was of no help at the time. I have also pointed others in the wireless
and firewall NG(s) that faced that issue to the NWlink solution.

I have been using NWlink with the IPX for three years on my wireless
Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 setup without a *peep* out of it as NetBEUI
absolutely doesn't work with WEP enabled when trying to share network
resources.

Duane

Wiz

au contrare, netbeui works quite well. I have set up dozens of these and
allways use Netbeui for local networking and tcp for internet. IPX
works, as you say very well, but there are many pieces ofv software that
won't network on it.

Duane Arnold wrote:

> Wiz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Netbeui has nothing to do with it, and ipx has it's own set of
> > problems.
> >
> > I'm not clear if the user has a router or is using adhoc.

> I think if the person is using Netgear in the sentence, then most likely
> a Netgear router is being talked about. I could be wrong too.
>
> In addition, if someone is having the issue of not being able to share
> resources between machines in a wireless situation with WEP (have not use
> WAP), then switching to NWlink IPX/SPX NetBIOS certainly does solve the
> issues.
>
> I have faced that issue on not being able to share resources as Linksys
> was of no help at the time. I have also pointed others in the wireless
> and firewall NG(s) that faced that issue to the NWlink solution.
>
> I have been using NWlink with the IPX for three years on my wireless
> Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 setup without a *peep* out of it as NetBEUI
> absolutely doesn't work with WEP enabled when trying to share network
> resources.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

Wiz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> au contrare, netbeui works quite well. I have set up dozens of these
> and allways use Netbeui for local networking and tcp for internet. IPX
> works, as you say very well, but there are many pieces ofv software
> that won't network on it.

http://www.insightbb.com/external/search.asp?
q=network+protocol+for+NT+servers&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.google.com%
2Fsearch&btnG.x=38&btnG.y=14

I have never had any issues with NWlink being implemented in the
workplace when connecting to Novell servers and in general networking MS
workstations or Servers and any application doing communications on a
network -- never.

That also includes XP PRO and Win 2k machines in the home networking
environment. I have applications on the machines doing communications on
the LAN and have never had any issues - never.

However, I do have problems with NetBEUI and WEP enabled on the wireless
with wireless and wired machines not being able to sharing resources as
NetBEUI flat-out doesn't work in that environment.

The issue has been discussed by me many times in alt.internet.wireless

People who are looking for the out are very frustrated at that point.
NWlink works and I am happy with it. And those who have taken the NWlink
path to resolve their issues have not been back in my face about it
either.

Duane

Duane Arnold

correction

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...nkconcepts.htm

Duane

nunu

Thank you all for responding, I found what I've been missing, and that is,
W2k required that computer NAME and WORKGROUP must be in CAPITAL LETERS. Now
I'm able to share files and printers

thanks,

nn

--
> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using Netgear
> wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet connection

on
> both, but not able to share files with each other.
>
> Here's what I have done:
>
> 1. I created the Workgroup name on each
> 2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
> 3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
> 3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
>
> What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
>
> thanks,

Duane Arnold

"nunu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c9qai9$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thank you all for responding, I found what I've been missing, and that
> is, W2k required that computer NAME and WORKGROUP must be in CAPITAL
> LETERS. Now I'm able to share files and printers
>
> thanks,
>
> nn

I don't think the computer name being in caps is an issue. I have
connected computers with names that were mixed case to the network with
no issues. I have also entered names where the WG names were mixed case
as well. The WG name must match the WG name assigned to another computer
in order for it to be in the WG is for sure.

Duane