Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer locks up during shutdown

Computer locks up during shutdown

Dimetric Houston

Hello all. I'm running Win98SE.

Sometimes when I click Shut Down on the Start Menu, the computer locks up
while giving me the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
doesn't happen often, but it is annoying still the same. Last night I left
the computer on for 25 minutes while waiting for it to finally shut down. I
know it doesn't take the blasted thing that long, so I knew it had locked
up. My only recourse was to turn the power off. You know what that leads
to.

Any idea what causes this and how to remedy it?

Thanks.

Thor

"Dimetric Houston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:huivc.3982$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all. I'm running Win98SE.
>
> Sometimes when I click Shut Down on the Start Menu, the computer locks up
> while giving me the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
> doesn't happen often, but it is annoying still the same. Last night I

left
> the computer on for 25 minutes while waiting for it to finally shut down.

> know it doesn't take the blasted thing that long, so I knew it had locked
> up. My only recourse was to turn the power off. You know what that leads
> to.

make sure you have the Win98SE shutdown patch from microsoft applied. If
that doesn't help, then you'll need to determine what program is failing to
shut down, thus preventing windows from shutting down the computer. Right
before you exit windows, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and make note of all the running
programs in the list. Anything besides Explorer, and Systray are suspect. It
could be a background program failing to close, or a program that you
launched sometime during your session. Look for any program you had used and
thought you had closed, but still is listed as running. Use MSconfig to
disable background tasks from running to help narrow down the problem. The
biggest problem is that you said the issue is intermittent. That makes it
hard to determine the program that is the problem.

Lloyd Jones

I had the same problem when I was using Win98SE, I downloaded CWShredder and
Ad-aware and ran them. It turned out that I had malware on my computer.

LJ

Kenny

Maybe something here.
http://aumha.org/win4/kbshtdwn.php

--

Kenny

"Dimetric Houston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:huivc.3982$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all. I'm running Win98SE.
>
> Sometimes when I click Shut Down on the Start Menu, the computer locks up
> while giving me the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
> doesn't happen often, but it is annoying still the same. Last night I

left
> the computer on for 25 minutes while waiting for it to finally shut down.

> know it doesn't take the blasted thing that long, so I knew it had locked
> up. My only recourse was to turn the power off. You know what that leads
> to.
>
> Any idea what causes this and how to remedy it?
>
> Thanks.

Dimetric Houston

Thanks, everyone.

I downloaded the shutdown patch, and so far everything is doing ok.

I've looked at the other things you all told me as well. Whew, quite a bit
of information!

However, I have to ask. What is malware?

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe something here.
> http://aumha.org/win4/kbshtdwn.php
>
> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "Dimetric Houston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:huivc.3982$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all. I'm running Win98SE.
> >
> > Sometimes when I click Shut Down on the Start Menu, the computer locks

up
> > while giving me the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
> > doesn't happen often, but it is annoying still the same. Last night I

> left
> > the computer on for 25 minutes while waiting for it to finally shut

down.
> > know it doesn't take the blasted thing that long, so I knew it had

locked
> > up. My only recourse was to turn the power off. You know what that

leads
> > to.
> >
> > Any idea what causes this and how to remedy it?
> >
> > Thanks.

Lloyd Jones

Description from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/malware.html

Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or
disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.

LJ

Dimetric Houston

Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
into the other information you all gave me.

I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
nothing was loading or anything.

I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a good
number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?

Thanks.

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c9teo7$nk5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Description from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/malware.html
>
> Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or
> disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.
>
> LJ

Thor

"Dimetric Houston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%WBxc.609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
> into the other information you all gave me.
>
> I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
> nothing was loading or anything.
>
> I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a

good
> number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
> see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
> programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?
>
> Thanks.

If spybot ID'd them as a problem, then they are most likely spyware or
related to programs that are tied to spyware. Besides, you always have the
"recovery" option in Spybot to restore what you removed, plus you can make a
registry backup with it.

Lloyd Jones

I have Ad-aware Pro 6.0, that is one of the best anti spyware programs on
the market.

LJ

Stuart

Dimetric Houston wrote:
> Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
> into the other information you all gave me.
>
> I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
> nothing was loading or anything.
>
> I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a good
> number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
> see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
> programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:c9teo7$nk5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Description from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/malware.html
>>
>>Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or
>>disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.
>>
>>LJ

The button next to 'fix these problems' allows you to view a description
of the selected item, it is usually detailed enough for you to work out
whether it is legitimate or not and always update the programs before
doing a scan. I also use Bazooka, that has found things the other two
have not seen.

Stuart