Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Last Known Good Configuration

Last Known Good Configuration

Global_Killa

Hey all,
I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).

Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration, then
everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

The Prophecy

Global_Killa wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when
> my computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't
> remember what the error message is right now, but will post later if
> required).
>
> Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good
> configuration, then everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring
> this configuration?
> I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be
> using it for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new
> motherboard to arrive, then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh
> installation.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help,

Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the System
Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell you to, I have
heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried using it a couple times
myself and it just ended up creating more problems for me, and never fixed
any of the ones I started with.

Global_Killa

"Global_Killa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9im37$205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
> I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
> computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
> what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
>
> Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

then
> everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
> I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
> for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
> then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> --
> Global_Killa
> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
>
> http://punkthenation.tk

The error message that is being displayed:

"Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware configuration
problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and
your hardware refernce manuals."

This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard stopped
working.
I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive and
a floppy.

This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from last
goof configuration.
Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads before
booting?

I have two boot menu options. I can boot from just Windows XP or Windows XP
(boot screen).
Only Windows XP (boot screen) will work, since this is the one I have used
since Windows was last installed.

Thanks for any help,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

DeMoN LaG

"The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the
> System Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell
> you to, I have heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried
> using it a couple times myself and it just ended up creating more
> problems for me, and never fixed any of the ones I started with.

I use it religiously at work, so far it has a success rate of about 75% and
never hurt anything worse than it was.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

mark mandel

"The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Global_Killa wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when
> > my computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't
> > remember what the error message is right now, but will post later if
> > required).
> >
> > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good
> > configuration, then everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring
> > this configuration?
> > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be
> > using it for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new
> > motherboard to arrive, then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh
> > installation.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,

> Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the

System
> Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell you to, I

have
> heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried using it a couple

times
> myself and it just ended up creating more problems for me, and never fixed
> any of the ones I started with.

I beg to differ(re: the System Restore that is).

It IS a good feature and about the only time it could be a drawback is if
one fails to disable it if there's a virus in the OS. Failure to disable it
then would indeed create undesirable consequences.

There are also occasions when it just plain doesn't work. In that case a
repair/install or complete format and reinstall would be needed.

Mark Mandell

Wizard

Global_Killa wrote:

> "Global_Killa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c9im37$205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey all,
> > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
> > computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
> > what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
> >
> > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

> then
> > everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
> > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
> > for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
> > then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > --
> > Global_Killa
> > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
> >
> > http://punkthenation.tk

> The error message that is being displayed:
>
> "Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware configuration
> problem.
> Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
> hardware.
> Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and
> your hardware refernce manuals."
>
> This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard stopped
> working.
> I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive and
> a floppy.
>
> This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from last
> goof configuration.
> Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads before
> booting?

Yes

> I have two boot menu options. I can boot from just Windows XP or Windows XP
> (boot screen).
> Only Windows XP (boot screen) will work, since this is the one I have used
> since Windows was last installed.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> --
> Global_Killa
> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
>
> http://punkthenation.tk

Global_Killa

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Global_Killa wrote:
> >
> > "Global_Killa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c9im37$205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hey all,
> > > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when

my
> > > computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't

remember
> > > what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
> > >
> > > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

> > then
> > > everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
> > > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be

using it
> > > for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to

arrive,
> > > then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Global_Killa
> > > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
> > >
> > > http://punkthenation.tk

> > The error message that is being displayed:
> >
> > "Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware

configuration
> > problem.
> > Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
> > hardware.
> > Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration

and
> > your hardware refernce manuals."
> >
> > This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard

stopped
> > working.
> > I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive

and
> > a floppy.
> >
> > This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from

last
> > goof configuration.
> > Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads

before
> > booting?

> Yes

Thanks,
Fixed the problem. I changed the setting for the default boot back to my
bootscreen. Don't know how it got changed.

The setting is located:

Right click on 'My Computer', click 'Properties'
Click 'Advanced' tab, click 'Settings' under 'Startup and Recovery'
And then change 'Default operating system'.

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

> > I have two boot menu options. I can boot from just Windows XP or Windows

XP
> > (boot screen).
> > Only Windows XP (boot screen) will work, since this is the one I have

used
> > since Windows was last installed.
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > --
> > Global_Killa
> > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
> >
> > http://punkthenation.tk

ProfGene

When you hit f8 and get into the safe mode that is an option to restore to
the last good configuration and it takes much less time that redoing the
whol OS.