Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Remote ReFormat?

Remote ReFormat?

Mistercmk

I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP, and all
the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format all of
these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every computer.
It would take forever. How can I do this?

Hamman

"Mistercmk" <newsgroups@misterPLEASEDONTSENDMESPAMSPAMSPAMcmk. servehttp.com>
wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
> I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP, and

all
> the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format all

of
> these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every computer.
> It would take forever. How can I do this?

You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network disks
to load from it.
Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy your
applications in the normal way.

You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
details.

hamman

Mistercmk

"Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mistercmk"

<newsgroups@misterPLEASEDONTSENDMESPAMSPAMSPAMcmk. servehttp.com>
> wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
> > I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP, and

> all
> > the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format

all
> of
> > these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every

computer.
> > It would take forever. How can I do this?
> >

> You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
> Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

disks
> to load from it.
> Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy your
> applications in the normal way.
>
> You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
> details.
>
> hamman

I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS. We
will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they are
now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just be
swapped in. Thanks

Thor

wrote in message news:VN7vc.32684$eY2.25969@attbi_s02...

> "Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Mistercmk"

> <newsgroups@misterPLEASEDONTSENDMESPAMSPAMSPAMcmk. servehttp.com>
> > wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
> > > I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP,

and
> > all
> > > the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format

> all
> > of
> > > these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every

> computer.
> > > It would take forever. How can I do this?
> > >

> > You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
> > Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

> disks
> > to load from it.
> > Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy

your
> > applications in the normal way.
> >
> > You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
> > details.
> >
> > hamman
> >

> I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS.

We
> will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they

are
> now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just be
> swapped in. Thanks

So you want to format them for security reasons? Hate to tell you this, but
merely formatting them is not permanently erasing the data. You need
something like a zero-fill utility to do an effective job of erasing the
drives.

Mistercmk

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mistercmk"

<newsgroups@misterPLEASEDONTSENDMESPAMSPAMSPAMcmk. servehttp.com>
> wrote in message news:VN7vc.32684$eY2.25969@attbi_s02...
> >
> > "Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Mistercmk"

> > <newsgroups@misterPLEASEDONTSENDMESPAMSPAMSPAMcmk. servehttp.com>

> and
> > > all

format
> > all
> > > of

> > computer.
> > > >

> > > You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
> > > Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

> > disks
> > > to load from it.
> > > Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy

> your
> > > applications in the normal way.
> > >
> > > You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
> > > details.
> > >
> > > hamman
> > >

> > I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS.

> We
> > will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they

> are
> > now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just

be
> > swapped in. Thanks

> So you want to format them for security reasons? Hate to tell you this,

but
> merely formatting them is not permanently erasing the data. You need
> something like a zero-fill utility to do an effective job of erasing the
> drives.

I just want to format them so we can re-use the machines for something else,
and thought it would be easier to do before they are swapped out for the new
machines. That way we don't need to worry about whats on the hard drive in
the future.