Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Removing file

Removing file

Budgie

An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
in size and is a "contact access plug-in". The file has not been run, but
refuses to go either by the usual XP right-click or by using an eraser
program. The message in both cases is that the .exe file cannot be deleted
as it is in use by another program.

How can I isolate and remove this file?

TIA

Budgie

The Prophecy

Budgie wrote:
> An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is
> 116kb in size and is a "contact access plug-in". The file has not
> been run, but refuses to go either by the usual XP right-click or by
> using an eraser program. The message in both cases is that the .exe
> file cannot be deleted as it is in use by another program.
>
> How can I isolate and remove this file?
>
> TIA
>
> Budgie

Right click on the taskbar and go to Task Manager. In the Processes tab find
the .exe in question, highlight it and click End Process. Now find the file
again and delete it.

Lloyd Jones

If you haven't got a clue which file to end processes just start-up in safe
made you should be able to delete it then.

LJ

Budgie

"Budgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
> in size and is a "contact access plug-in".

Many thanks for suggestions. Before I read them, I restarted computer and
the file deleted straight away. Don't ask me why - it hadn't before!!

Thanks again

Budgie

ProfGene

This usually doesn't work but you can try changing the name and extenstion.
Also if that doesn't work run a virus program which might identify and
delete it. Or try running an anti spyware program.
"Budgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
> in size and is a "contact access plug-in". The file has not been run, but
> refuses to go either by the usual XP right-click or by using an eraser
> program. The message in both cases is that the .exe file cannot be deleted
> as it is in use by another program.
>
> How can I isolate and remove this file?
>
> TIA
>
> Budgie

Stuart

Budgie wrote:

> "Budgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
>>in size and is a "contact access plug-in".

> Many thanks for suggestions. Before I read them, I restarted computer and
> the file deleted straight away. Don't ask me why - it hadn't before!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Budgie

It seems to be a thing with Win2K and XP and can happen to any file not
just executables, even if you did try and look at the processes you
probably would not have seen anything.

Stuart