Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Anyway to recover this missing system file in XP

Anyway to recover this missing system file in XP

MBell72398

I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or
corrupt on this customer's pc.
This is a common problem I have repaired in the past by doing MS Q307545 where
you make copies of the sytem, software,sam,security and default folders. This
time, I get an error message when I try to copy the first file (system) saying
the file does not exsist. I went to the system32/config folder and system is
NOT there. The others are but not system.
Is there anything that can be done at this point other than re-install? If I
have to re-install, if I rename the "My Documents" folder, will that keep it
from being wiped out during a re-install?
Thanks, Mike
Please remove nospam to email me
Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
Rincon, GA.31326

mark mandel

"MBell72398" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is

missing or
> corrupt on this customer's pc.
> This is a common problem I have repaired in the past by doing MS Q307545

where
> you make copies of the sytem, software,sam,security and default folders.

This
> time, I get an error message when I try to copy the first file (system)

saying
> the file does not exsist. I went to the system32/config folder and system

is
> NOT there. The others are but not system.
> Is there anything that can be done at this point other than re-install?

If I
> have to re-install, if I rename the "My Documents" folder, will that keep

it
> from being wiped out during a re-install?
> Thanks, Mike
> Please remove nospam to email me
> Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
> Rincon, GA.31326

Far as I know, you could do a repair/install and wouldn't have to rename
the "My Documents" folder. However, there may be a faster way to get back
the file which someone else here could tell you about.

Mark Mandell

Jess Fertudei

If you can get into windows, have you tried running SFC from the Run box?
That might do it.

If not, there is always the repair installation, which I've had great luck
with, but... this is not neccesarily painless if you have not ordered an
Update CD from MS. All your files and apps are generally still there, but
downloading all those critical updates and such again can be a
time-consuming PIA.

"MBell72398" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is

missing or
> corrupt on this customer's pc.
> This is a common problem I have repaired in the past by doing MS Q307545

where
> you make copies of the sytem, software,sam,security and default folders.

This
> time, I get an error message when I try to copy the first file (system)

saying
> the file does not exsist. I went to the system32/config folder and system

is
> NOT there. The others are but not system.
> Is there anything that can be done at this point other than re-install?

If I
> have to re-install, if I rename the "My Documents" folder, will that keep

it
> from being wiped out during a re-install?
> Thanks, Mike
> Please remove nospam to email me
> Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
> Rincon, GA.31326

derek / nul

Hi Michael,

On 01 Jun 2004 14:12:25 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ospam (MBell7239 wrote:

> I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or
>corrupt on this customer's pc.
> This is a common problem

If you are seeing this as a common problem, then you need to look at the
hardware, these files only get corrupted with frequent crashes.

Derek

MBell72398

>Hi Michael,
>
>On 01 Jun 2004 14:12:25 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (MBell7239 wrote:
>
>> I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing

>or
>>corrupt on this customer's pc.
>> This is a common problem

>If you are seeing this as a common problem, then you need to look at the
>hardware, these files only get corrupted with frequent crashes.
>
>Derek
>Thanks for replying Derek. What I meant by this being a common problem is, it

is a common problem we see here in the shop with lots of pc's that have the XP
software. I did not mean it is a common problem with this machine. In the past,
I have fixed this problem by doing the fix MS recommends in the Q ref I
referred to.
I did re-install and did not lose the Word documents that were in the "My
Documents" folder.