Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > saving a HD?

saving a HD?

Brandy

I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any of
the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it will
work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics, maybe
some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...."

GTS

The freeze treatment, oddly enough, does sometimes work. Put the drive in a
moisture proof plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for a few hours.
Have the new drive installed and bootable as master and put in the failing
one as a slave. (This is important because it likely has some damaged
sectors and may or may not be bootable.) If the drive is accessible copy
the files off it quickly as it may fail again at any moment. If this does
not work, it would have to be sent to a data recovery service which is
extremely expensive. It's sometimes worth it for business data, but
doubtful for pictures and music.
--

"Brandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbe0fb$0$3139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
> it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
> went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

of
> the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

will
> work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics,

maybe
> some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
> hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...."

ProfGene

You might try making it a slave in another computer or in the same one when
you get a new drive and see if it can be read then copy what you need if it
can to the new drive or burn it onto a cd if you dont' want to leave it on
the drive you copy it to. If it cannot be read you might resort to the
freezing trick but if nothing works it costs money to lift data from a shot
drive as there are companies that will do it for you at a price.
"Brandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbe0fb$0$3139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
> it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
> went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

of
> the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

will
> work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics,

maybe
> some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
> hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...."

philo

"Brandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbe0fb$0$3139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
> it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
> went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

of
> the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

will
> work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics,

maybe
> some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
> hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...."

i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
usually did not work...
i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several hours.
it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
burn-in... it became
usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data

Kenny

Maybe something here:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5029761.html

--

Kenny

"Brandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40bbe0fb$0$3139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
> it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
> went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

of
> the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

will
> work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics,

maybe
> some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
> hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...."

Denis MICHEL

> i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
> usually did not work...
> i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

> also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several hours.
> it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
> burn-in... it became
> usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data

Oh ... so, if the "freezer" method fail, I can try the "oven" method, that's it ?

philo

"Denis MICHEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
> > usually did not work...
> > i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

> > also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several

hours.
> > it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
> > burn-in... it became
> > usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data

> Oh ... so, if the "freezer" method fail, I can try the "oven" method,

that's it ?

may not work but still worth a try

saving flash files from cache dir? Tom Firefox 4 01-07-2009 11:39 AM
EXCEL question saving a file saving the the first column as read only Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 0 01-06-2005 07:02 PM
Saving DataTable to session vs saving a Custom object. John Kandell ASP .Net 4 12-10-2004 05:08 AM
Saving passwords Moz 1.5 Lambo Firefox 4 12-08-2003 11:33 AM
Saving Images While Saving ASP Pages ! Lovely Angel For You ASP General 1 10-03-2003 12:03 AM

Advertisments