Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to Confirm that a Hard Drive is in UDMA mode with Windows ME?

How to Confirm that a Hard Drive is in UDMA mode with Windows ME?

Mark D. Fain

I have an Athlon 1.2 GHz with a recent Western Digital 80 GB/8 MB buffer
hard drive. The drive boots and functions fine, but several different
benchmark programs show a transfer rate of just 7.25 MB/s, which seems very
slow for a UDMA100 capable hard drive and a UDMA66 capable
motherboard/controller.

I have checked in the Device manager and ensured that DMA is enable on all
hard/optical drives.

I have been testing out Spin Rite 5.0/ 6.0 ( which runs in DOS only). After
adding a UDMA driver I have seen transfer rates of 52-54 MB/s in DOS, which
seems about right with my hardware. I would expect somewhat lower rates
under Windows, but this drop seems excessive.

How can I confirm what mode my drive is in under Windows ME??

Thanks,

Mark D. Fain

Thor

"Mark D. Fain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an Athlon 1.2 GHz with a recent Western Digital 80 GB/8 MB buffer
> hard drive. The drive boots and functions fine, but several different
> benchmark programs show a transfer rate of just 7.25 MB/s, which seems

very
> slow for a UDMA100 capable hard drive and a UDMA66 capable
> motherboard/controller.
>
> I have checked in the Device manager and ensured that DMA is enable on all
> hard/optical drives.
>
> I have been testing out Spin Rite 5.0/ 6.0 ( which runs in DOS only).

After
> adding a UDMA driver I have seen transfer rates of 52-54 MB/s in DOS,

which
> seems about right with my hardware. I would expect somewhat lower rates
> under Windows, but this drop seems excessive.
>
> How can I confirm what mode my drive is in under Windows ME??

try using HDTach to bench your drive. Even if your drive wasn't using DMA
mode, it would still transfer much faster than 7.25MB/sec. PIO4 transfer
rates top out at 16.7MB/sec, so somewhere in that territory is what you
would be reading. I suspect that you are in DMA mode, but your benchmark
programs are giving you false readings. If you were really transferring that
slow, there's no question that it would show up as a substantial performance
issue in windows. You would know that there was a big problem, without even
using a benchmark.

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach

ATA, UDMA EIDE - I dont get it. MajBach1 Computer Support 6 03-05-2005 11:46 AM
UDMA 100 bardeban Computer Support 1 04-04-2004 09:29 AM
UDMA 2? and my new HD anthonyberet Computer Support 3 11-05-2003 08:31 AM

Advertisments