Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help out a 'newbie' re' unwanted emails..

Help out a 'newbie' re' unwanted emails..

fredcromer

Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
me,..to a person,..( usually called http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ),or names to that
effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
The Best.....FRED

cablenetguy@invalid.com

On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:24:23 +0100, "fredcromer"
<fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> spewed forth:

>Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
>LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
>my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
>me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to that
>effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
>an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
>don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
>but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
>else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
>time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
>sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
>SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
>The Best.....FRED

Some viris infect your friend's PC and, because you are in the
infected machine's address book, you end up with mail you shouldn't
have.
Just use mailwasher's bounce and blacklist features to keep it out of
your mail client and you should be ok.
--
Mark

Otherwise known as
------------
Cablenetguy

Thor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:24:23 +0100, "fredcromer"
> <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> spewed forth:
>
> >Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

in
> >LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

in
> >my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent

by
> >me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

that
> >effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
> > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

with
> >an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

please
> >don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

yet,
> >but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> >else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the

same
> >time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

internet
> >sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> >SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

ARE.........All
> >The Best.....FRED
> >

> Some viris infect your friend's PC and, because you are in the
> infected machine's address book, you end up with mail you shouldn't
> have.
> Just use mailwasher's bounce and blacklist features to keep it out of
> your mail client and you should be ok.
> --
> Mark
>
> Otherwise known as
> ------------
> Cablenetguy

Spammers also use a fake message bounce notification, just to get you to
open their HTML attachment, with their spam ads. I've gotten loads of those.
They say you sent a message to an undeliverable address, etc, and make it
look like they sent your "message" back as an attachment, when the
attachment is just a spam ad.

ProfGene

Your computer probably has a worm which you can clean out with you virus
scanning program and if you don't have one get oen even a free program will
do it. Another thing you can try is to make the first email address in you
address book AAA and even if they tell you it is not a valid address put it
there anyway. This is supposed to cause the mail sent by the worm to be
returned to you so no one in your address book will receive it.
"fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

in
> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

in
> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
> me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

that
> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

with
> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

please
> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

yet,
> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
> time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

internet
> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

ARE.........All
> The Best.....FRED

Stuart

fredcromer wrote:

> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
> me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to that
> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
> time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
> The Best.....FRED

ZoneAlarm is a free firewall which is very good.

Stuart