Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > VISUAL BASIC

VISUAL BASIC

Paul

Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting to
sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

Thor

It's a scripting language created by Microsoft. Sort of akin to what
JavaScript does.

news:iQDtc.24190$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting

> sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
> does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

GTS

VB is a programming language and set of tools for software development.
(Strictly speaking it's not a language, but a Microsoft implementation of
the BASIC programming language.) It's popular because of it's relative ease
of use and learning, large set of built in controls and capabilities, and
large 3rd party market for add in tools.

The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool for
web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
framework.

news:iQDtc.24190$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting

> sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
> does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

Paul

I am relatively new to programming although I like to think I am clued up.
How hard is VB.NET to learn,how long should it take and is this the best of
all VB's to learn??? If you all had a choice of programs to learn, what
would you start on and why?

"GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:FPItc.81$(E-Mail Removed)...
> VB is a programming language and set of tools for software development.
> (Strictly speaking it's not a language, but a Microsoft implementation of
> the BASIC programming language.) It's popular because of it's relative

ease
> of use and learning, large set of built in controls and capabilities, and
> large 3rd party market for add in tools.
>
> The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool

for
> web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
> Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
> as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
> framework.

> news:iQDtc.24190$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> >
> > Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not

wanting
> > sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and

what
> > does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

Thor

> The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool

for
> web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
> Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
> as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
> framework.

Yes, you are quite right, thanks for setting the record straight on that. I
just plain forgot about VB, versus VB script.

Duane Arnold

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_EJtc.4658$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am relatively new to programming although I like to think I am clued
> up. How hard is VB.NET to learn,how long should it take and is this
> the best of all VB's to learn??? If you all had a choice of programs
> to learn, what would you start on and why?
>

> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FPItc.81$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> VB is a programming language and set of tools for software
>> development. (Strictly speaking it's not a language, but a Microsoft
>> implementation of the BASIC programming language.) It's popular
>> because of it's relative

> ease
>> of use and learning, large set of built in controls and capabilities,
>> and large 3rd party market for add in tools.
>>
>> The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting
>> tool

> for
>> web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to
>> Java Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the
>> distinction somewhat as it supports both general programming and web
>> development using the Net framework.
>> --
>>
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:iQDtc.24190$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> >
>> > Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not

> wanting
>> > sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic
>> > and

> what
>> > does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual Basic
..NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.

Duane

VWWall

Thor wrote:
>>The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool

> for
>
>>web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
>>Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
>>as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
>>framework.

> Yes, you are quite right, thanks for setting the record straight on that. I
> just plain forgot about VB, versus VB script.

See Karen's writeup about Visual Basic Runtimes:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/runtimes.asp

for a good description and for the run-time routines needed.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

GTS

> You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual Basic
> .NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.
>
> Duane

Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET framework.
(Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET tools.)

Duane Arnold

"GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:OQOtc.1634$(E-Mail Removed):

>> You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual
>> Basic .NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET
> framework. (Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET
> tools.)

Sorry on this one, but they are not locked into the .NET Framework and
either one of the solutions can produce Unmanaged Code. C# .NET is more
geared towards the .Net solution and the .Net Framework. C++ .NET can use
the .Net Framework as well. However with C++ .NET, one can create
complete applications/programs using Unmanaged Code (not needing the .Net
Framework) at all.

VB.Net is totally Managed Code and must use the .Net Framework.

Hell, the company is not slamming this .Net training down my throat for
nothing.

Doing the company training and studying for the MCSD .Net certification,
I know more about .Net than I ever wanted to know about it to this point.

Duane

GTS

That depends on your goals and interests and on what platforms you want to
address. If you want to learn some programming relatively quickly for a
hobby or general interest, then VB.NET is probably a good choice. It's
relatively easy to learn and will replace VB 6 (the last pre .NET version)
over the next few years. It can be used for both local and Web related
development (with Microsoft Web servers). It is substantially limited to
the Windows platform, though in theory other platforms could support the
Common Language Runtime embodied in the .NET framework. There is also
starting to be some demand for .NET skills in the job market. Note that C#
is a C based .NET language that can be used with the .NET framework, and is
another possibility, though you might find it a bit more difficult. How
long is also a difficult question. To become a versatile and skilled
programmer maybe 3 to 5 years. To be able to write a few simple programs
for personal use much less.

If you are looking toward developing professional skills, I would recommend
getting some exposure to C++. It's more difficult to learn but forces one
to develop deeper skills and system knowledge and is transferable to
non-Microsoft platforms.

The important core skills in programming are not specific to a particular
language and you'll acquire certain basic skills with whatever you choose.