Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need database recommendation

Need database recommendation

ShantiP1

I need to get a relational database and want one that is very easy to use, with
unlimited storage of ceramic glaze recipes.
I have FileMaker pro 3 which is easy to use, but it doesn't allow me to search
an individual ingredient and amount through all the fields; and I want that
feature in order to be able to remove duplicate recipes, or to find similar
recipes.
I need to be able to list an ingredient in any one of the many ingredient
fields and have a database that can find it wherever it may be in any of those
fields. I hope this makes sense!
I find that with the FMPro 3, that it will only find an ingredient if I do
invidual searches for every field, which can take forever. I want a database
that will search through all the fields to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Regards,
June

Jim Berwick

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ojunkm (ShantiP1) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I find that with the FMPro 3, that it will only find an ingredient if
> I do invidual searches for every field, which can take forever. I want
> a database that will search through all the fields to find what I'm
> looking for.

MySQL

ShantiP1

Thanks, I did a search on it but couldn't find pricing or any indication that
it would be easy to use.
I'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Regards,
June

Hoffman

Filemaker is up to version 7 now. Have you checked to see if the present
version will do what you require?
Larry
"ShantiP1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I did a search on it but couldn't find pricing or any indication

that
> it would be easy to use.
> I'll have to dig a bit deeper.
>
> Regards,
> June

Jim Berwick

(E-Mail Removed)ojunkm (ShantiP1) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks, I did a search on it but couldn't find pricing or any
> indication that it would be easy to use.
> I'll have to dig a bit deeper.

MySQL is available at http://www.mysql.com.

ShantiP1

Dear Larry,

I read the info on FMPro 7, but it doesn't say that it's relational. I download
a 30 day free trial and I'm going to check it out since they have an upgrade
special on it for a few months.

Thanks!
June

Duane Arnold

"ShantiP1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to get a relational database and want one that is very easy to use,

with
> unlimited storage of ceramic glaze recipes.
> I have FileMaker pro 3 which is easy to use, but it doesn't allow me to

search
> an individual ingredient and amount through all the fields; and I want

that
> feature in order to be able to remove duplicate recipes, or to find

similar
> recipes.
> I need to be able to list an ingredient in any one of the many ingredient
> fields and have a database that can find it wherever it may be in any of

those
> fields. I hope this makes sense!
> I find that with the FMPro 3, that it will only find an ingredient if I do
> invidual searches for every field, which can take forever. I want a

database
> that will search through all the fields to find what I'm looking for.

It seems to me that MS Access should do the trick.

Duane