Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC problems, cables problem?

PC problems, cables problem?

Ulisse

Hi,
I have a new PC, it is a Pentium IV 2800 MHz.
I have 3 HDs and they work very fine but with a little problem.
Every 30-40 days I hear a faint metallic noise (tic every 10 seconds)
on a HD. My PC doesn't see that HD anymore and I cannot open it with a
click of the mouse.
I need to open my PC and take down the HD cable and the motherboard
cable for some seconds.
And then my PC works very fine for 30-40 days.
Why do I have this problem, please?
thanks

bye Ulisse

Wizard

This could be a precurser to a failing drive or simply a loose data
cable.

Ulisse wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a new PC, it is a Pentium IV 2800 MHz.
> I have 3 HDs and they work very fine but with a little problem.
> Every 30-40 days I hear a faint metallic noise (tic every 10 seconds)
> on a HD. My PC doesn't see that HD anymore and I cannot open it with a
> click of the mouse.
> I need to open my PC and take down the HD cable and the motherboard
> cable for some seconds.
> And then my PC works very fine for 30-40 days.
> Why do I have this problem, please?
> thanks
>
> bye Ulisse

Captain Ron

I would bet the problem is a drive starting to..no...actually failing.
Drives are cheap these days, replace with a new drive ASAP.

"Ulisse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a new PC, it is a Pentium IV 2800 MHz.
> I have 3 HDs and they work very fine but with a little problem.
> Every 30-40 days I hear a faint metallic noise (tic every 10 seconds)
> on a HD. My PC doesn't see that HD anymore and I cannot open it with a
> click of the mouse.
> I need to open my PC and take down the HD cable and the motherboard
> cable for some seconds.
> And then my PC works very fine for 30-40 days.
> Why do I have this problem, please?
> thanks
>

> bye Ulisse

Plato

Ulisse wrote:

> I have a new PC, it is a Pentium IV 2800 MHz.
> I have 3 HDs and they work very fine but with a little problem.
> Every 30-40 days I hear a faint metallic noise (tic every 10 seconds)
> on a HD. My PC doesn't see that HD anymore and I cannot open it with a
> click of the mouse.

Save the data from that HDD and replace it ASAP.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Trent©

On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:42:04 GMT, Ulisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a new PC, it is a Pentium IV 2800 MHz.
>I have 3 HDs and they work very fine but with a little problem.
>Every 30-40 days I hear a faint metallic noise (tic every 10 seconds)
>on a HD. My PC doesn't see that HD anymore and I cannot open it with a
>click of the mouse.
>I need to open my PC and take down the HD cable and the motherboard
>cable for some seconds.
>And then my PC works very fine for 30-40 days.
>Why do I have this problem, please?
>thanks
>

> bye Ulisse

Who made the motherboard? Why size power supply are you running?

Try switching your IDE cables...and also your power cables.

Have a nice week...

Trent©