Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CD-ROM Problems

CD-ROM Problems

Global_Killa

Hey all,
I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.

This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason my
CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and swapped
them around.
I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable from
my hard drives.

I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just cant
be reconized.
Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
them before, worked fine.

Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my two
hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.

Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
taken out.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

colin

Global_Killa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c91r4t$lqu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
> I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
> was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
> minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
>
> This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

my
> CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

swapped
> them around.
> I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

from
> my hard drives.
>
> I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
> The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

cant
> be reconized.
> Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
> them before, worked fine.
>
> Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

two
> hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
> where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
>
> Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
> taken out.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> --
> Global_Killa
> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
>
> http://punkthenation.tk

Check the jumper settings on your cd/cdr/dvd drives.

Lots of futsin goin on there, so it`s hard to put a finger on it

Wizard

The jumpers are the problem.

Global_Killa wrote:

> Hey all,
> I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
> was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
> minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
>
> This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason my
> CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and swapped
> them around.
> I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable from
> my hard drives.
>
> I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
> The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just cant
> be reconized.
> Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
> them before, worked fine.
>
> Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my two
> hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
> where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
>
> Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
> taken out.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> --
> Global_Killa
> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
>
> http://punkthenation.tk

Global_Killa

"colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Global_Killa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c91r4t$lqu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey all,
> > I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive.

> > was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
> > minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
> >
> > This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

> my
> > CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

> swapped
> > them around.
> > I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

> from
> > my hard drives.
> >
> > I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still

nothing.
> > The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

> cant
> > be reconized.
> > Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
> > them before, worked fine.
> >
> > Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

> two
> > hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
> > where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
> >
> > Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
> > taken out.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice,
> >
> > --
> > Global_Killa
> > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
> >
> > http://punkthenation.tk
> >

> Check the jumper settings on your cd/cdr/dvd drives.
>
> Lots of futsin goin on there, so it`s hard to put a finger on it

I should of said in the first post about the jumpers.

I set the hard drive with the OS on, which I want to use as a backup drive
to a master slave drive, and set my new hard drive to a master drive. This
shows up correct in the BIOS.

I haven't changed my CD-ROM jumpers, and they worked fine before. I checked
them again and they are set correct. DVD-ROM is second master drive, and
CD-RW is second slave drive.

The hard drives are connected to the same ID cable, connected to the first
port on the motherboard.
The CD-ROMs are connected in the same way, connected to the second port on
the motherboard.

So everything should be fine with the jumper settings.

I've tried setting the hard drive with the OS on back to master and
disconnected the new hard drive. But the BIOS only recognizes the hard
drive.
I can still boot from the hard drive, but no CD-ROMs.

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

Global_Killa

"Global_Killa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c91r4t$lqu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
> I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
> was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
> minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
>
> This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

my
> CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

swapped
> them around.
> I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

from
> my hard drives.
>
> I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
> The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

cant
> be reconized.
> Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
> them before, worked fine.
>
> Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

two
> hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
> where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
>
> Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
> taken out.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> --
> Global_Killa
> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
>
> http://punkthenation.tk

I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried three
different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.

I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and would
bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters", it
does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

Any ideas?

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

Thor

> I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
> tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried

three
> different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.
>
> I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
> When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and

would
> bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters",

it
> does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

Try disconnecting the harddrive cable, and plug your CDROM cable into the
channel that the harddrive was plugged into (Assuming the Primary IDE
channel), and power it up to see if the CD drives are recognized during POST
or autodetect. You might have had an IDE channel go bad on you. Also double
check the BIOS and make sure the secondary IDE channel wasn't accidentally
disabled in the BIOS settings.

Plato

Global_Killa wrote:

> This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason my
> CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and swapped

Hopefully you pulled out the power plug or turned off the
multi-plug/surge protector before you played around inside as modern PCs
are always ON unless you pull the plug or use the switch on the back of
your power supply if you have one. In other words, the motherboard and
bios are always ON in modern PCs. The front Power button merely sends
power to the drives and cpu and runs the boot process.

This allows features such as Wake On Lan or Wake On Modem to work.

Or, more common is that when you went inside to play with the primary
IDE cable to add
your new drive, the IDE cable to the cdroms on your secondary channel
may have come
loose from the motherboard or just pulled out a bit from one of the
cdrom drives.

Also check that your bios hasn't defaulted to DISABLED for the
secondary IDE channel which [could] happen if you worked on the system
while it was ON. Hopefully you didn't fry anything.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Global_Killa

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
> > tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried

> three
> > different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.
> >
> > I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
> > When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and

> would
> > bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters",

> it
> > does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

> Try disconnecting the harddrive cable, and plug your CDROM cable into the
> channel that the harddrive was plugged into (Assuming the Primary IDE
> channel), and power it up to see if the CD drives are recognized during

POST
> or autodetect. You might have had an IDE channel go bad on you. Also

double
> check the BIOS and make sure the secondary IDE channel wasn't accidentally
> disabled in the BIOS settings.

Thanks. This was the problem. I took the motherboard back from where I got
it, and ordered a new one =)

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk