Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Restarting Windows

Restarting Windows

Jamie

Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is bad
for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
that mean?

Plato

Jamie wrote:

> Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is bad
> for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
> that mean?

No it doesn't put bad sectors on the hard disk.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thor

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:40b42a5e$0$6165$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jamie wrote:
> >
> > Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is

bad
> > for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What

does
> > that mean?

> No it doesn't put bad sectors on the hard disk.

yeah, but it ain't good to do it when the disk is in the middle of a R/W
operation. You know how it is. Everything is *supposed* to park, and be ok,
but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.

Thor

if you just need to reboot, always use the restart function from the windows
shutdown menu. The files get closed out properly that way, and any
write/cached data will be written to the drive. You can leave lost clusters
of data on the disk, or lose data in the write cache if the system is
abruptly reset. Of course, if it has locked up, and you have no other
option, then hitting the reset button is about the only choice besides
powering off. Just be sure not to push the reset button if the harddrive is
active (accessing).

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LBVsc.11264$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is

bad
> for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
> that mean?

colin

Jamie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LBVsc.11264$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is

bad
> for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
> that mean?

Probably not true, but continual shutting down of windows in this manner
will certainly lead to a neccisated re-install

DeMoN LaG

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> yeah, but it ain't good to do it when the disk is in the middle of a
> R/W operation. You know how it is. Everything is *supposed* to park,
> and be ok, but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.

My biggest concern when someone does that is not physical damage to the
disk, as that is rare these days. But they're machine is in the middle of
re-writing some critical registry entries or system files or something (as
in, doing like windows updates or something), and their system reboots and
almost immediately blue screens because of it. I'm more concerned with the
results of an undetected failed/partial write than I am with physical
damage.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Plato

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> My biggest concern when someone does that is not physical damage to the
> disk, as that is rare these days. But they're machine is in the middle of
> re-writing some critical registry entries or system files or something (as
> in, doing like windows updates or something), and their system reboots and
> almost immediately blue screens because of it. I'm more concerned with the
> results of an undetected failed/partial write than I am with physical
> damage.

So your FAT or MFT is now pointing to half a file, or an address on the
HDD which now has corrupted data, etc which windows will now try to load
on the boot.

Restarting Windows service using an another application Stephen ASP .Net 2 03-01-2006 10:12 PM
Restarting windows from c++ CRE C++ 8 07-02-2004 03:19 PM
Windows XP Restarting Jerald Montgomery Computer Support 9 06-23-2004 10:50 PM
Windows 2000 Pro machine crashing and restarting when using Explorer, for example. Will Computer Support 1 05-19-2004 06:14 PM
Windows XP keeps restarting automatically before system finishes booting. GET ERROR: "We apologize for the inconveience but windows was not shutdown properly...." DaWurm Computer Support 3 11-15-2003 11:29 PM

Advertisments