Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC doesn't shut down completely under XP, screen does!

PC doesn't shut down completely under XP, screen does!

Steven Spielberg

Hi,

My brother has an old PC (PII/400MHz) and runs Windows XP without big
problems.
But the only strange problem that does occur is that his PC does not shut
down completely (after closing down WinXP)! The screen does, but the PC
keeps on running. When running the old Win98, this didn't occur!
Who recognises this problem and knows the solution?

Thanks in advance,

Steven Spielberg

Stuart

Steven Spielberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My brother has an old PC (PII/400MHz) and runs Windows XP without big
> problems.
> But the only strange problem that does occur is that his PC does not shut
> down completely (after closing down WinXP)! The screen does, but the PC
> keeps on running. When running the old Win98, this didn't occur!
> Who recognises this problem and knows the solution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Steven Spielberg

Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
was safe to switch off the pc. Newer PCs with an ATX power supply and
compatible motherboard can power off on shutdown automatically. It may
be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off before
you see the message. Is the monitor powered by a pass through cable on
the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

Stuart

Steven Spielberg

Stuart,

> Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
> PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
> was safe to switch off the pc.

Well, before I put WinXP on that machine, it was running Win98. With this
Win98 the shutdown problem did not occur: the pc shut itself down
automatically after shutting down Windows thru the software.

> It may be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off
> before you see the message.

I don't think so.

> Is the monitor powered by a pass through
> cable on the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

No. It's got its own powerplug from the mains.
Anyway: thanks for your responding. I'll have to search more on the internet
to see if I can find more about power and XP.

Steven

Thor

"Steven Spielberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c92rk8$cil$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Stuart,
>

> > Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
> > PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
> > was safe to switch off the pc.

> Well, before I put WinXP on that machine, it was running Win98. With this
> Win98 the shutdown problem did not occur: the pc shut itself down
> automatically after shutting down Windows thru the software.
>
> > It may be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off
> > before you see the message.

> I don't think so.
>
> > Is the monitor powered by a pass through
> > cable on the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

> No. It's got its own powerplug from the mains.
> Anyway: thanks for your responding. I'll have to search more on the

internet
> to see if I can find more about power and XP.

Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power options,
and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support on
that tab. That may enable proper shutdown. Otherwise, you can try
reinstalling XP (a repair install), making sure the ACPI power management is
fully enabled in the BIOS, and XP will likely pick it up upon
resinstallation and install support for it, enabling proper shutdown.

Steven Spielberg

Hi Thor,

> Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
> because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
> problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
> support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power

options,
> and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support

on
> that tab. That may enable proper shutdown. Otherwise, you can try
> reinstalling XP (a repair install), making sure the ACPI power management

is
> fully enabled in the BIOS, and XP will likely pick it up upon
> resinstallation and install support for it, enabling proper shutdown.

Thanks for your ideas!
This weekend I'm gonna give it a try the way you explained.
It's worth it anyway, for I don't have a clue how to solve it on my own.

I'll keep you informed, ok?
Thanks again.

Steven

Stephen J. poirier Stephen J. poirier is offline
Junior Member
Location: Rhode Island USA

I tried what you said about enabling the ACPI in the bios and reinstalling XP and it worked. Thank you
Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor