Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > hard drive filled itself up

Reply
Thread Tools

hard drive filled itself up

 
 
halrae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
G'day Folks
Got a question for you.
Yesterday out of the blue the hard drive was going like crazy. It sounded
like when you defrag. I checked the task manager and nothing was operating
yet the hard drive was going crazy. I checked the properties and it showed
that it was 54% full, however on Friday I defragged and had only 20% used. I
searched for any new programs that might have been loaded on the computer in
the last 24 hours and it showed that I had 2 c drives? one was called HDD C:
which is the right one and the other was called Local hard drive c:
When I searched what was in the drive it showed that it was a duplication of
my C: and was getting larger, it just kept expanding itself and filling the
hard drive.
I immediately pulled the plug , waited a bit and rebooted , the pc hard
drive was best part full.
I rolled the pc back a couple of days and no change to the hard drive, so I
rolled it back even further but still no change.
I ended up having to restore windows XP home edition. Thank God that the
partition where the original files were kept were unaffected.
I have a Pentium IV 3GHZ and 120 gig HDD. Running the firewall.
Has any one ever heard of this? I am on broadband ? But that should not
effect the virus protection, using Norton's and updated auto when I connect.
If any one has some light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated..
Is there something in XP that I did not know about and clicked on it by
accident or what????
thanks heaps for listening
halrae


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trent©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2004
On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:47:10 +0800, "halrae" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>G'day Folks
>Got a question for you.
>Yesterday out of the blue the hard drive was going like crazy. It sounded
>like when you defrag. I checked the task manager and nothing was operating
>yet the hard drive was going crazy.


There's ALWAYS something operating. Not always applications...but
processes.

>searched for any new programs that might have been loaded on the computer in
>the last 24 hours and it showed that I had 2 c drives? one was called HDD C:
>which is the right one and the other was called Local hard drive c:
>When I searched what was in the drive it showed that it was a duplication of
>my C: and was getting larger, it just kept expanding itself and filling the
>hard drive.
>I immediately pulled the plug , waited a bit and rebooted , the pc hard
>drive was best part full.
>I rolled the pc back a couple of days and no change to the hard drive, so I
>rolled it back even further but still no change.
>I ended up having to restore windows XP home edition. Thank God that the
>partition where the original files were kept were unaffected.
>I have a Pentium IV 3GHZ and 120 gig HDD.


How many partitions?

>Running the firewall.
>Has any one ever heard of this? I am on broadband ? But that should not
>effect the virus protection, using Norton's and updated auto when I connect.
>If any one has some light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated..


If it happens again, right click on the drive...and look at its
properties. That'll give us more needed info.

You should also always check your Event Viewer for any clues.

Not really enough info to understand what really went on.


Have a nice week...

Trent©

Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard drive is Disk 0 CHANGES to hard drive is Disk 1??? And still works!!! Spin Computer Support 7 04-09-2008 09:04 PM
Hard drive filled to absolute brim, then suddenly freed up a frightening amount of space. keon.starfire@gmail.com Computer Support 4 04-05-2007 12:06 AM
Change Master/Boot Hard Drive to Slave/Non boot Hard Drive & Visa Versa Steve808us@yahoo.com Computer Information 0 01-18-2005 01:57 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM



Advertisments