Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Repair BIOS UPGRADE

Repair BIOS UPGRADE

Norm

I have a friend who downloaded a biios upgrade from the site who makes his
motherboard the upgrade seems to have reset or damaged the bios. He got the
upgrade from the international site and not the usa site is there anyway of
resetting the bios or repair . Is there any kind of software wich will
restore his bios?

Thank you
Norm

Thor

If the board is unable to boot to a floppy disk, then he's likely out of
luck, and will have to get a replacement BIOS chip from the manufacturer. If
the system tries to boot to a floppy, then he can use another computer to
put the flash program and the proper BIOS file for his board, on the disk,
along with an autoexec.bat with the necessary commands to automatically load
and run the flash program from boot (consult the motherboard manufacturer's
BIOS flashing instructions, they should show how to do this). He can also
try using the clear CMOS jumper on the board per the user manual. It will
set it back to BIOS defaults, and sometimes this can fix issues after a BIOS
flash, but if the flash was wrong or corrupted, then this won't help.

"Norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J8Urc.8528$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend who downloaded a biios upgrade from the site who makes his
> motherboard the upgrade seems to have reset or damaged the bios. He got

the
> upgrade from the international site and not the usa site is there anyway

of
> resetting the bios or repair . Is there any kind of software wich will
> restore his bios?
>
> Thank you
> Norm

Scott Gardner

I agree - the CMOS-clearing jumper on the motherboard is probably the
best bet. On my Abit IC7-Max 3 motherboard, I was getting an error on
bootup that said "Checksum error - insert system disk." Even after
inserting a bootable floppy with a new BIOS and flashing program on
it, it would appear to successfully re-flash the BIOS, but I'd have
the same problem when the computer re-booted. Clearing the CMOS with
the jumper and re-flashing it once more from the floppy fixed
everything.

Scott Gardner