Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SVCHOST.EXE???

SVCHOST.EXE???

Paul

Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there be
more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
CPU??? what does it mean?

Thanks.
Paul

Lloyd Jones

svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information
Process File: svchost or svchost.exe
Process Name: Service Host Process
from dynamic link libraries.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

LJ

Warthog

itsasystem file that win 2k & XP uses, nothing to worry about.

newssIrc.1683$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there

be
> more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
> CPU??? what does it mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul

Duane Arnold

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newssIrc.1683$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should
> there be more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a
> crazy amount of CPU??? what does it mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul

Svchost is used by NT based O/S(s)such as Win NT 4.0, 2K, XP and 2K3 to
perform many tasks. One of its many tasks is communications to allow
programs to connect and talk to each other (over the Internet). Also,
svchost can be used by programs that are not part of the O/S such as
Trojans and spyware. Svchost is the messenger and you should always be
aware of what is using Svchost (the messenger) when it's connecting to
unknown IP(s) over the Internet.

If Svchost.exe is not running out of C:\WinNT\System32 for Win NT 4.0 and
2K or C:\Windows\System32 Win XP and 2K3 (from any other directory or m a
subdirectory of System32, then it is a Trojan.

You can use Active Ports and Process Explorer both are free to help you
determine what's happening on the machine.

You should try to secure the O/S a little bit.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane

Duane Arnold

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newssIrc.1683$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should
> there be more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a
> crazy amount of CPU??? what does it mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul

correction

<snip>

If Svchost.exe is not running out of C:\WinNT\System32 for Win NT 4.0 and
2K or C:\Windows\System32 Win XP and 2K3 (not from any other directory or
a subdirectory of System32, then it is a Trojan.

<snip>

Duane

Jan van Gastel

If SVCHOST.EXE takes lots of CPU, you probably have a virus. Some time ago I
had the same problem: SVCHOST.EXE used up to 99% CPU, which made the
computer crash. Turned out that I had two virusses. After getting rid of
them, the rpoblem was gone.

--
Jan
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/
newssIrc.1683$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there

be
> more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
> CPU??? what does it mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul

Plato

Jan van Gastel wrote:

> If SVCHOST.EXE takes lots of CPU, you probably have a virus. Some time ago I
> had the same problem: SVCHOST.EXE used up to 99% CPU, which made the
> computer crash. Turned out that I had two virusses. After getting rid of
> them, the rpoblem was gone.

svchost is by default a messenger and can relay a virus/trojan to the
web. A virus can also name itself svchost.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

bearman

newssIrc.1683$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there

be
> more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
> CPU??? what does it mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul

If you want to see what a file is (or does), go to Google and type in the
file name.

Bearman

pc_solver pc_solver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there be
more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
CPU??? what does it mean?

Thanks.
Paul
Hi
perform the following steps....

nb: you will need windows to be installed on an ntfs .

1. log on as admin in winXP

2. go to the system32 folder

3. open properties of the file "wuauclt.exe" and "wuauclt1.exe"

4. move to the security tab

5. click "SYSTEM" under the group or user names

now here goes the fix>

6. check the DENY relating to the fullcontrol option, thats it, it means u are now not allowing the system to access these files.

Now click ok and reboot to see the difference.

If this doesn't work i will try to find some other way.

But for now just try this out and let me know.