Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > can't download 4gb file in any www browser

can't download 4gb file in any www browser

heavenbound

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../iso/FC2-i386-
DVD.iso

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/

when i try to download this in IE or firefox it says it's a 72mb file. if i
try in ftp the same file it says it's 4.07gb, but after 1.4gb or so the
download just restarts everytime. for any mirror too.

can anyone tell me why no www browser will properly download that dvd? can
anyone please tell me what i can do if anything to make it work and actually
download it? I've tried IE from win xp, mozilla and firefox. Same problem in
all. I even tried flashfxp ftp client.

Fred

heavenbound wrote:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../iso/FC2-i386-
> DVD.iso
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/
>
> when i try to download this in IE or firefox it says it's a 72mb file. if

> try in ftp the same file it says it's 4.07gb, but after 1.4gb or so the
> download just restarts everytime. for any mirror too.
>
> can anyone tell me why no www browser will properly download that dvd? can
> anyone please tell me what i can do if anything to make it work and

actually
> download it? I've tried IE from win xp, mozilla and firefox. Same problem

in
> all. I even tried flashfxp ftp client.

It seems that the reported size of that dvd-iso is incorrect. It is actually
more like 3.99GB.
Perhaps you could try using a download manager that allows resumption of
interrupted downloads.
Also try one of the mirror sites as that particular site seems to be
congested. (It appears that the file is a recent release)
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

Trent©

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:31:30 -0700, "heavenbound" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../iso/FC2-i386-
>DVD.iso
>
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/
>
>when i try to download this in IE or firefox it says it's a 72mb file. if i
>try in ftp the same file it says it's 4.07gb, but after 1.4gb or so the
>download just restarts everytime. for any mirror too.
>
>can anyone tell me why no www browser will properly download that dvd? can
>anyone please tell me what i can do if anything to make it work and actually
>download it? I've tried IE from win xp, mozilla and firefox. Same problem in
>all. I even tried flashfxp ftp client.

More than likely, yer operating system can't handle files that large.
You never mentioned your os.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

heavenbound

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

-
> >DVD.iso
> >
> >http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/
> >
> >when i try to download this in IE or firefox it says it's a 72mb file. if

> >try in ftp the same file it says it's 4.07gb, but after 1.4gb or so the
> >download just restarts everytime. for any mirror too.
> >
> >can anyone tell me why no www browser will properly download that dvd?

can
> >anyone please tell me what i can do if anything to make it work and

actually
> >download it? I've tried IE from win xp, mozilla and firefox. Same problem

in
> >all. I even tried flashfxp ftp client.
> >

> More than likely, yer operating system can't handle files that large.
> You never mentioned your os.
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent©
>
> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

windows xp pro and it does.
i got it via a mirror ftp using cuteftp. weird that no www browser worked
properly when telling you how big the file was.

Robert Baer

heavenbound wrote:

> "Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:31:30 -0700, "heavenbound" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...6/iso/FC2-i386

> -
> > >DVD.iso
> > >
> > >http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/
> > >
> > >when i try to download this in IE or firefox it says it's a 72mb file. if

> > >try in ftp the same file it says it's 4.07gb, but after 1.4gb or so the
> > >download just restarts everytime. for any mirror too.
> > >
> > >can anyone tell me why no www browser will properly download that dvd?

> can
> > >anyone please tell me what i can do if anything to make it work and

> actually
> > >download it? I've tried IE from win xp, mozilla and firefox. Same problem

> in
> > >all. I even tried flashfxp ftp client.
> > >

> > More than likely, yer operating system can't handle files that large.
> > You never mentioned your os.
> >

> > Have a nice week...
> >
> > Trent©
> >
> > Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

> windows xp pro and it does.
> i got it via a mirror ftp using cuteftp. weird that no www browser worked
> properly when telling you how big the file was.

CuteFTP *is* rather nice, small, efficent and fast.
M$ should try emulating that approach...