Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

Thor

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c8p329$ppa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I haven't tried NU 2002 up-wards but NU 2001 was great it fixed every
> problem I had on Win 98, the newer versions might be rubbish but NU 2001

is
> a good prog. So what software do you recommend to fix problem on XP

except
> the progs that come with it scan disk etc.?

Depends on what "problems" you are talking about. I haven't seen any windows
issue in 8 years that required a $70 suite of programs to fix them. A
properly maintained WindowsXP system doesn't require a bloated set of Norton
utilities.

Lloyd Jones

Yeah,

I defrag my computer almost every week even though it doesn't really need it
and update my AV and spyware progs every week. But I just want a program to
check my comp to see if there is any problems that im unaware of.

LJ

Thor

You are already doing all you really need to do (although the defrag
schedule is a bit excessively frequent, IMHO). This is one reason I don't
like NU. People use it to scan their systems, and it makes all kinds of
recommendations for registry changes etc. and people just jump right in and
"FIX" their computer with it when it isn't presenting any symptoms of a
problem, and after "fixing" the problem with NU, they suddenly have stuff
crashing, or not functioning properly because NU screwed up something. If
it's running your programs ok, then leave it alone and stop worrying about
it. XP hardly needs the extra supervision.

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c8p8bl$oan$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah,
>
> I defrag my computer almost every week even though it doesn't really need

it
> and update my AV and spyware progs every week. But I just want a program

> check my comp to see if there is any problems that im unaware of.
>
> LJ

Lloyd Jones

Thor,

Why do you hate NU so much?, XP might not need it but Win 98 does. I used
98 for years on my old comp and after fixing the problem with NU 2001 every
thing worked better.

P.S. I have XP SP1 installed on my computer, it's 133 mb it took me ages to
download. Do you know when SP2 is out or is it already out?

LJ

Ken

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:43:35 -0400, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I would change your firewall from Zone Alarm, I have used this and just
>> didn't get along with it. I use Outpost, I have found this to be a very good
>> firewall. Set the rules for the applications you want, and then select Block
>> Most, the firewall doesn't bother you again and keeps your computer safe =)

> Kerio Personal Firewall is good also...and pretty simple.

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

Jim Berwick

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:c8p93m$8g2$(E-Mail Removed):

> Why do you hate NU so much?, XP might not need it but Win 98 does. I
> used 98 for years on my old comp and after fixing the problem with NU
> 2001 every thing worked better.

I used 98 for years also (still have it on one of my machines that is
currently out of service), and it has never needed a third party software
to be maintained. There is nothing NU does that is essential for any
version of Windows. If you feel secure having it, keep it, but it doesn't
change the fact that it is junk. What "problems" did you fix with NU?

Thor

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c8p93m$8g2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor,
>
> Why do you hate NU so much?,

If you had to repair people's computers for a living like I do, and you saw
the amount of crap that Norton software suites puts on a computer (try
manually removing it sometime when Nortons own uninstaller fails), and how
often it screws them up, you wouldn't be asking me that question. Just
yesterday I removed Norton Internet Security 2001 from a system where it was
causing repeated lockups when the user went online and tried to browse.

Jim Berwick

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If you had to repair people's computers for a living like I do, and
> you saw the amount of crap that Norton software suites puts on a
> computer (try manually removing it sometime when Nortons own
> uninstaller fails), and how often it screws them up, you wouldn't be
> asking me that question. Just yesterday I removed Norton Internet
> Security 2001 from a system where it was causing repeated lockups when
> the user went online and tried to browse.

Thor,
I see at least two cases a day where someone has NIS 200x and for
whatever reason it craps out and blocks everything. They dial up and
connect, but:
I can't ping them
They can't ping us
They can't do any DNS lookups
They blame me

I actually have to walk them through uninstalling NIS and then after a
reboot we go "Oh hey, look, it works <mute> Stupid jackass tell me I
don't know what I'm doing </mute> Yeah I'm glad we got that solved, have
a nice night"

Thor

> Thor,
> I see at least two cases a day where someone has NIS 200x and for
> whatever reason it craps out and blocks everything. They dial up and
> connect, but:
> I can't ping them
> They can't ping us
> They can't do any DNS lookups
> They blame me
>
> I actually have to walk them through uninstalling NIS and then after a
> reboot we go "Oh hey, look, it works <mute> Stupid jackass tell me I
> don't know what I'm doing </mute> Yeah I'm glad we got that solved, have
> a nice night"

I've had to deal with the situation a few times now where NIS corrupted the
TCP/IP stack, and that had to be rebuilt. Uninstalling NIS did no good in
those cases.

Trent©

On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:25:18 +0000, Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> If you had to repair people's computers for a living like I do, and
>> you saw the amount of crap that Norton software suites puts on a
>> computer (try manually removing it sometime when Nortons own
>> uninstaller fails), and how often it screws them up, you wouldn't be
>> asking me that question. Just yesterday I removed Norton Internet
>> Security 2001 from a system where it was causing repeated lockups when
>> the user went online and tried to browse.
>>

>Thor,
>I see at least two cases a day where someone has NIS 200x and for
>whatever reason it craps out and blocks everything. They dial up and
>connect, but:
>I can't ping them
>They can't ping us
>They can't do any DNS lookups
>They blame me
>
>I actually have to walk them through uninstalling NIS and then after a
>reboot we go "Oh hey, look, it works <mute> Stupid jackass tell me I
>don't know what I'm doing </mute> Yeah I'm glad we got that solved, have
>a nice night"

I had one the other day where Norton would NOT let me uninstall it. I
had to go to their site...and download both the NIS and the NAV
uninstall utilities.

Then I went back in and deleted all the virii and trojans that these
programs had let in.

But...like I said before...

I $till think that people should continue u$ing these program$. Ju$t
give them a chance. I don't think any of thi$ i$ the program$' fault.
lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©