Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard Drive Upgrade

Hard Drive Upgrade

John Chenis

Hi All,
I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard drive.
Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone done
this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
Thanks,

John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

HF

Get an external drive.Is this a bios limit ? If so think overlays.Ask Sony
for reason!!!!
"John Chenis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ae0a0f$0$3134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
> I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

drive.
> Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

done
> this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
> Thanks,
>
> John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

---

TV Slug

"John Chenis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ae0a0f$0$3134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
> I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

drive.
> Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

done
> this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
> Thanks,
>
> John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

Depending on how old the machine is, it can probably handle up to 32GB.
Many times laptop makers will tell you the story of "it can't be upgraded"
because they aren't going to get any (more) money from you if you upgrade on
your own.

The easiest thing to do is see where in the product line you computer falls
and see if there were other models in the SAME LINE that supported a larger
drive. They usually don't make separate BIOS runs for systems in the same
line.

Unfortunately, some makers put SPECIFIC limits into BIOS for some hardware.
Fujitsu, for example, used a BIOS restriction on the CPU of a Lifebook I
had. I had a 650MHz speedstep processor, and the top of that line was
750MHz. I tried to drop in 850MHz chips, and they could run SpeedStepped
down to 700 MHz, but as soon as I tried to ramp up to 850, the machine would
lock solid, whether in Windows or DOS. Figured that one out because it would
POST fine, but lock AFTER it finished POSTing.

Robert Baer

HF wrote:

> Get an external drive.Is this a bios limit ? If so think overlays.Ask Sony
> for reason!!!!
> "John Chenis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40ae0a0f$0$3134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> > I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

> drive.
> > Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

> done
> > this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> >

> ---

*NEVER* use overlays or OEM "drive managers" to "solve" a BIOS
problem!
The result will be a hard drive format that is proprietary, and it
will be impossible to recover data if anything goes wrong.