Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dell Latitude LS broken screen - troubleshooting information needed

Dell Latitude LS broken screen - troubleshooting information needed

Neil

I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
problem.

When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
external monitor.

I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.

TIA.

Splitskull

iT'S THE lcd PANEL ITSELF

oops damn caps...

--

------Splitskull-----

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
| problem.
|
| When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
| the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
| stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
| external monitor.
|
| I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
| Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
|
| Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
|
| TIA.

Stuart

Neil wrote:

> I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
> problem.
>
> When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
> the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
> stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
> external monitor.
>
> I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
> Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
>
> TIA.

Sounds like the screen has gone, return it to Dell to get it fixed if it
is still under warranty otherwise you will need to pay to get it fixed.
If you have tried to fix it yourself then you have voided the warranty
and paying for it will be your only choice.

Stuart

Jerry G.

This sounds like a panel failure. The panel should be replaced. DELL will
not sell service parts directly. You will have to send it to them. If you
try to fix it yourself, you may do more damage, thus increasing the cost of
the final repair.

--

Jerry G.
=====

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
problem.

When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
external monitor.

I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.

TIA.

Duncan Newell

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c8l2ud$c8h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This sounds like a panel failure. The panel should be replaced. DELL will
> not sell service parts directly. You will have to send it to them. If you
> try to fix it yourself, you may do more damage, thus increasing the cost

of
> the final repair.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> =====
>

> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
> problem.
>
> When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
> the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
> stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
> external monitor.
>
> I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
> Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
>
> TIA.

You don't have to go to Dell for the parts if you shop around on the net you
will be able to get a new one. Try all the laptop parts suppliers e-mail
them, best thing to do is to get the Dell part number off the LCD if you
cant find it phone Dell or a Dell distributor and way yourself as your going
to buy one and get the part number that way. I've worked with Dell kit for
years now and had no problems getting spare parts for them.

Duncan

Edward J. Neth

Unless there is physical damage (crack, shatter) to the screen, it can be
repaired relatively inexpensively ($200 or less).

It sounds like the LCD matrix driver/controller has failed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
> problem.
>
> When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
> the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
> stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
> external monitor.
>
> I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
> Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
>
> TIA.

Robert

Yes they will
https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/em...spareparts.asp