Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Norton Ghost versus Acronis True Image

Norton Ghost versus Acronis True Image

Gigi

I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get ghost to
work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better off
spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much easier for
the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?

Camel Toe \\|/

whats the problem your having with Ghost?

"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:U03rc.3375$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get

ghost to
> work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better

off
> spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much easier

for
> the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?

mark mandel

"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:U03rc.3375$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get

ghost to
> work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better

off
> spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much easier

for
> the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?

I've had mixed results with the Ghost. I had thought that when you've
created a backup that you can only restore it to the PC that it was taken
from which was the reason that just the other day I was struggling with
several attempts to restore a backup of Win 98 S.E. onto my newest PC after
all else failed(changes in the motherboard seem to account for this
problem). Then I discovered that a particular option I selected from an
"options" menu enabled me to finally get the damned thing restored, warts
and all.

Mark Mandell

colin

Gigi <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:U03rc.3375$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get

ghost to
> work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better

off
> spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much easier

for
> the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?

Haven`t used either of the products mentioned, although acronis looks like
it could be good.
I`m a `drive image` user, and find it to very easy to use, where-by you can
backup or restore in just 2-3 clicks.
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:K24rc.3440$(E-Mail Removed) k.net:

> I've had mixed results with the Ghost. I had thought that when
> you've created a backup that you can only restore it to the PC that it
> was taken from which was the reason that just the other day I was
> struggling with several attempts to restore a backup of Win 98 S.E.
> onto my newest PC after all else failed(changes in the motherboard
> seem to account for this

You can restore a ghost image to /any/ machine that has enough disk space
for it. The problem you were having is you had one set of hardware, and an
installation from another set of hardware. Operating systems don't like to
be picked up and moved to different hardware without notice.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

bearman

"colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Gigi <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:U03rc.3375$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get

> ghost to
> > work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better

> off
> > spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much

easier
> for
> > the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?
> >

> Haven`t used either of the products mentioned, although acronis looks like
> it could be good.
> I`m a `drive image` user, and find it to very easy to use, where-by you

can
> backup or restore in just 2-3 clicks.
> http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/
>
>I've used Acronis True Image twice now to make a clone of my XP boot drive

and so far it's work perfectly.

Bearman

Wizard

Try DiskImage

Gigi wrote:

> I've about given up on Norton Ghost. It seems the only way I can get ghost to
> work is buy a ps2 keyboard and mouse and I'm wondering if I'd be better off
> spending my money on Acronis True Image. It sounds like TI is much easier for
> the novice to use. Anybody out there with input?

Robert Baer

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:K24rc.3440$(E-Mail Removed) k.net:
>
> > I've had mixed results with the Ghost. I had thought that when
> > you've created a backup that you can only restore it to the PC that it
> > was taken from which was the reason that just the other day I was
> > struggling with several attempts to restore a backup of Win 98 S.E.
> > onto my newest PC after all else failed(changes in the motherboard
> > seem to account for this
> >

> You can restore a ghost image to /any/ machine that has enough disk space
> for it. The problem you were having is you had one set of hardware, and an
> installation from another set of hardware. Operating systems don't like to
> be picked up and moved to different hardware without notice.
>
> --
> website: http://www.demonlag.com
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: (E-Mail Removed)

It seems that it is not sane to "backup" or "image"; that the best way
is to *clone* the master drive (ie make an "exact" copy).
That way when the master HD goes bad, the *copy* can !immediately! be
used as the new master.
By *immediate* i mean "less than 30 seconds".

Michael-NC

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> >
> > "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:K24rc.3440$(E-Mail Removed) k.net:
> >
> > > I've had mixed results with the Ghost. I had thought that when
> > > you've created a backup that you can only restore it to the PC that it
> > > was taken from which was the reason that just the other day I was
> > > struggling with several attempts to restore a backup of Win 98 S.E.
> > > onto my newest PC after all else failed(changes in the motherboard
> > > seem to account for this
> > >

> > You can restore a ghost image to /any/ machine that has enough disk

space
> > for it. The problem you were having is you had one set of hardware, and

an
> > installation from another set of hardware. Operating systems don't like

> > be picked up and moved to different hardware without notice.
> >
> > --
> > website: http://www.demonlag.com
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> > email: (E-Mail Removed)

> It seems that it is not sane to "backup" or "image"; that the best way
> is to *clone* the master drive (ie make an "exact" copy).

Image and clone is the same.

> That way when the master HD goes bad, the *copy* can !immediately! be
> used as the new master.
> By *immediate* i mean "less than 30 seconds".

Unless you're cloning an OS that is already unstable.

I'm not at all impressed with cloning. All I want is my data backed up and
backed up redundantly. I find that clones are almost useless to the average
home user but very useful in a multi-user environment. Say you've been
faithfully cloning your drive every week and your motherboard goes south.
Your board is 3 years old and not worth replacing it with an identical one
so you buy a newer motherboard and maybe a newer CPU. Your clone is useless,
_except_ for the data on it. This is just my preference but I only back up
data. I have no need to back up installed apps and an OS.

Gigi

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try DiskImage

Isn't DiskImage also made by Norton? I'm totally turned off by Norton because
of their attitude when I was trying to install Ghost. I wouldn't have a Norton
product now!