Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > lotus 123

lotus 123

Plato

I was just going through my utilities folder and found a copy of lotus
123 I swiped
from somebodies pc about ten years ago. The 123.exe is 12K file date
January 5 1980

The rest of the file dates are July 4th, 1986

Is the 1980 date correct or is that a result of the pc bios going to the
classic 1980 default at one time or another due to a dead battery,
surge, etc?

Still, a 12K executable for a spreadsheet app. is so cool.

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> I was just going through my utilities folder and found a copy of lotus
> 123 I swiped
> from somebodies pc about ten years ago. The 123.exe is 12K file date
> January 5 1980
>
> The rest of the file dates are July 4th, 1986
>
> Is the 1980 date correct or is that a result of the pc bios going to the
> classic 1980 default at one time or another due to a dead battery,
> surge, etc?
>
> Still, a 12K executable for a spreadsheet app. is so cool.

=*gack*= I dumpped my Lotus original floppy set a number of months
ago, so i cannot look and see.
The only program left that i have from those daze is a complete set of
floppies, manuals and after-market book of - - - - WordStar 5.5 .
If you or any one else is interested, let me know.

Sirius

Plato wrote:
> I was just going through my utilities folder and found a copy of lotus
> 123 I swiped
> from somebodies pc about ten years ago. The 123.exe is 12K file date
> January 5 1980
>
> The rest of the file dates are July 4th, 1986
>
> Is the 1980 date correct or is that a result of the pc bios going to the
> classic 1980 default at one time or another due to a dead battery,
> surge, etc?
>
> Still, a 12K executable for a spreadsheet app. is so cool.

I've got 123 v1.1 on floppies. The date of the files is 4/9/92.

There are 5 floppies but it looks like it is only the first 3 or first 3
plus part of 4, that are needed to install it. The first 3 floppies
total 3.81 Mb - seems small now but is huge compared to programs for my
first computer - a Sinclair ZX81 with 16K of memory. 16K of memory could
hold a program I wrote in Sinclair basic (which itself seemed huge),
plus cash analysis figures for a farm for the whole year!!! Screen would
go blank for a few minutes if you asked for a calculation.

Ardent

On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:29:09 GMT, Robert Baer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Still, a 12K executable for a spreadsheet app. is so cool.

Not so cool. I have version 2.2 in which the 123.exe file is ~15k but
it calls 123.cmp which is ~ 138k.

For a DOS program that is quite big remembering that those days
floppies were 360k and you had to use a different drive to store data.
(These programs were designed to work with minimum 2 floppy systems,
A: drive holding programs and B: the data).

HTH

--
Sandy Archer