Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Third Party Cookies

Third Party Cookies

Wayne R. Russ

Hello Everyone,

I have just learned about

Override Automatic Cookie Handling

in IE 6 at

Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Advanced.

At that location you can choose Accept, Block, or Prompt or both First Party
Cookies and Third Party Cookies. Can / Would someone Please explain the
difference between First Party and Third Party cookies for me ? It sounds
like I might want some First Party cookies, but Third Party cookies don't
sound to pleasant.

Your Help, Time and Patience is Greatly Appreciated.

Thank You,

Wayne R. Russ

Stuart

Wayne R. Russ wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have just learned about
>
> Override Automatic Cookie Handling
>
> in IE 6 at
>
> Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Advanced.
>
> At that location you can choose Accept, Block, or Prompt or both First Party
> Cookies and Third Party Cookies. Can / Would someone Please explain the
> difference between First Party and Third Party cookies for me ? It sounds
> like I might want some First Party cookies, but Third Party cookies don't
> sound to pleasant.
>
> Your Help, Time and Patience is Greatly Appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Wayne R. Russ

First party cookies originate from the site you are viewing, third party
cookies come from other sites connected to the one you are viewing,
usually through ads. Third party cookies are mostly tracking cookies
which collect information on your viewing habits and then send you
'relevant' adverts.

You may find that some sites will not work properly or at all if you
block these cookies, so be careful. Alternatively you could try a
different browser which will work better with blocking these types of
cookies.

Stuart

Wayne R. Russ

Thank You Stuart,

Thank You for your explanation and also for the warning about a blanket
blocking of Third Party cookies. What I have chosen to do is to Accept all
First Party cookies and to Prompt for all Third Party cookies. That way if a
I will know when Third Party cookies are trying to load and when a site may
not be working I will have a possible cause.

Your explanation has been a Great Help to me and I do Thank You Very
Much.

Wayne R. Russ