Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft Virus

Microsoft Virus

Stuart

Lloyd Jones wrote:
> Yeah, but the thing is when you download a update you cant scan it before it
> installs. I really can't see the Microsoft site having a virus but any
> thing is possible.
>
> LJ

Try the different suggestions and then come back and tell us.

Stuart

Thor

You can if you download it from the corporate update site that allows you to
save the updates to the drive and install them when you want. Nevertheless,
I would not worry or suspect a MS update in the first place. It is so highly
unlikely that it would be infected.

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c8d0qh$n12$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, but the thing is when you download a update you cant scan it before

it
> installs. I really can't see the Microsoft site having a virus but any
> thing is possible.
>
> LJ

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> My mate updated his computer yesterday with in update feature in Win 98
> start menu and after he downloaded the up-dates and installed them he said
> Norton found a virus in one of the compressed files. I know Microsoft
> wouldn't do that intentionally, or he's mistaken and it didn't come from
> that site.

If he clicked on an email from "MS" to install updates and/or the latest
"MS" email spoofs he got a nasty. Fools lots of people. MS doesnt send
emails. Paypal didn't used to either, but now paypal is actually sending
out real emails to update your account. You can get a spoofed paypal
message and a real paypal message the same day. Funny thing, the spoofed
fake paypal emails say the same thing, more or less.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> My mate updated his computer yesterday with in update feature in Win 98
> start menu and after he downloaded the up-dates and installed them he said
> Norton found a virus in one of the compressed files. I know Microsoft
> wouldn't do that intentionally, or he's mistaken and it didn't come from
> that site.

Another thing that happens is that sometimes when you run a new program,
your anti-virus may kick in and find a bug that's been on your PC all
along.

Plato

Stuart wrote:

> Antivirus programs should always be turned off whenever any program is
> being installed as it can corrupt the installation by blocking access to
> system files. This may be the problem he has encountered, so do as Duane
> suggested and try it again with the AV turned off. If he has it
> quarantined then get him to look at the virus name and then do a search
> on the internet for more information about it.

I agree. For example, McAfee reports false positives when some folks try
to make the old dos bootdisk images I have. Silly McAfee reports several
old dos utilities as viruses. Makes you thing that nobody at McAffee has
ever used dos.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

VWWall

Plato wrote:
> Stuart wrote:
>
>>Antivirus programs should always be turned off whenever any program is
>>being installed as it can corrupt the installation by blocking access to
>>system files. This may be the problem he has encountered, so do as Duane
>>suggested and try it again with the AV turned off. If he has it
>>quarantined then get him to look at the virus name and then do a search
>>on the internet for more information about it.

> I agree. For example, McAfee reports false positives when some folks try
> to make the old dos bootdisk images I have. Silly McAfee reports several
> old dos utilities as viruses. Makes you thing that nobody at McAffee has
> ever used dos.

AVG always reports a virus in an old DOS program I wrote over twentyone
years ago! It's still a useful program, else I'd have trashed it long
ago. I just ignore the warning.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> If you turn your anti virus off when you install every thing what happens if
> you get a virus. You'll be bugerd.

All apps tell you to turn in off in advance of installing. You're
suppossed to scan _before_ you install.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> Yeah, but the thing is when you download a update you cant scan it before it
> installs.

Sure you can. Most updates can be downloading individually rather then
doing a "live" update.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Thor wrote:

> You can if you download it from the corporate update site that allows you to
> save the updates to the drive and install them when you want. Nevertheless,
> I would not worry or suspect a MS update in the first place. It is so highly
> unlikely that it would be infected.

I'd have a better chance of getting aids from my 5 finger sex partner
then MS having a nasty in their download.