Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What is the best way to clean up?

What is the best way to clean up?

Anne

I am giving my old computer to my friend. I have already transfered
the stuff I want to keep to my new computer. Now I don't really know
what to do to get all this stuff off; should I just go and delete
everything, or should I format the c drive and reinstall a Windows
98? If so will Windows 98 have Internet Explorer on it?

Lloyd Jones

I Would format your hard drive, and yes Win 98 has got internet explorer on
it, but it wont be the new version.

LJ

Drifter

On 17 May 2004 14:18:07 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Anne) wrote:

>I am giving my old computer to my friend. I have already transfered
>the stuff I want to keep to my new computer. Now I don't really know
>what to do to get all this stuff off; should I just go and delete
>everything, or should I format the c drive and reinstall a Windows
>98? If so will Windows 98 have Internet Explorer on it?

search for a program called "autoclave"
Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

ProfGene

Reformatting and a reinstall is always the best way to start off if you are
sure you have all the drivers for the hardware such as a backup disk that
came with the computer that has the video card and soundcard drivers as well
as modem driver if this is a factor. If you don't have the driver backup
disk or disks then you could have trouble with this method as reformatting
will wipe all of this information out.
"Anne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am giving my old computer to my friend. I have already transfered
> the stuff I want to keep to my new computer. Now I don't really know
> what to do to get all this stuff off; should I just go and delete
> everything, or should I format the c drive and reinstall a Windows
> 98? If so will Windows 98 have Internet Explorer on it?

Michael-NC

If you have any sensitive data on your hard drive, you need a cleaning
program, a simple format will not do it. There are many programs that will
recover a ton a data after a reformat and very easily at that. That includes
internet history as well.