Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > AMD 64 Processor questions

AMD 64 Processor questions

Joe

It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro run with
it?

If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit it has to also be able
to run at 32 bit as standard Windows XP Pro is a 32 bit OS, so would a AMD
64 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro be any faster than a AMD Barton
core 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro?

If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get as
trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much like
running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

Joe

Michael-NC

www.google.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro run

with
> it?
>
> If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit it has to also be able
> to run at 32 bit as standard Windows XP Pro is a 32 bit OS, so would a AMD
> 64 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro be any faster than a AMD Barton
> core 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro?
>
> If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get as
> trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
> seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much like
> running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?
>
> Joe

derek / nul

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:34:57 -0500, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro run with
>it?

yes

>If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit

It has 32 bit instructions and 64 bit extensions

MUCH faster, see www.tomshardware.com

>If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get as
>trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
>seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much like
>running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

no idea

DeMoN LaG

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro
> run with it?

AMD64 chips can run any OS from DOS through Windows Server 2003. Any OS
that can support 16, 32, or 64 bit processing modes.

> If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit it has to also be
> able to run at 32 bit as standard Windows XP Pro is a 32 bit OS, so
> would a AMD 64 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro be any faster
> than a AMD Barton core 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro?

It isn't true that because it's 64-bit it has to be able to run 32 bit
software. Look at the Itanium. It can't run 32 bit software, it can
only emulate a 32bit processor (which then runs the software).

An Athlon 64 though, can run 32-bit software natively. Windows would
more than likely not run any faster. I doubt you would see windows run
any faster on an Athlon FX53 than it does on my Duron 800, because
Windows is not that intensive. However, the system would run between 5%
and 20% faster with an A64 vs an AXP. Reason: Onboard memory controller.
Depending on what you do, it can be very minimal gains or /huge/
performance gains. For most people, I'd say between 5% and 10%.

> If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get
> as trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
> seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much
> like running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

32-bit programs would run OK. Microsoft has actually developed a WOW64
program (Windows on Windows 64) that runs the 32-bit code as 64-bit
applications. They won't run any faster than before, but they will run
fine. WOW is the same technology that lets you run a 16-bit program on
Windows XP (which is a 32-bit operating system).

It is much more seemless than running a MacOS9 application on OSX.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk