Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > 64 bit CPU?

64 bit CPU?

Chas

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade processors and was wondering if i should
go w/ the Athlon 64 or not. I have a decent amount of PC knowlegde
and I'm thinking at the moment it's not worth it. I haven't heard of
release date for a MS 64-bit OS or 64-bit apps for that matter. I
believe one is in the works though.

I know the Athlon 64-FX series are the best they've put out even
in 32-bit apps, so that's part of my dilemma. The last two CPU's I've
had in my machines have been Athlons and I've been very happy w/ them.
But as of late I was thinking of getting an Asus board (probably the
P4C800-E Deluxe) w/ the Intel 875 chipset and going w/ the less
expensive Northwood 3.4/800 FSB thus leaving room for a Prescott or EE
once the prices drop a bit.

Your thoughts...

Thanks.

DeMoN LaG

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Chas) wrote in news:410c8a01.0405120553.347a1799
@posting.google.com:

> I'm looking to upgrade processors and was wondering if i should
> go w/ the Athlon 64 or not. I have a decent amount of PC knowlegde
> and I'm thinking at the moment it's not worth it. I haven't heard of
> release date for a MS 64-bit OS or 64-bit apps for that matter. I
> believe one is in the works though.

It is true that right now there is no consumer 64-bit OS or apps, but that
doesn't mean the chip sucsk. The Athlon 64 still has an onboard memory
controller and hypertransport. It is still the most dominating 32-bit
processor. The 64-bitness is just a bonus.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

bmoag

The measurable differences in performance between many of these CPUs are not
appreciable in the real world. In my experience once you get up 2.5gHZ with
current AMD and Intel chips and identical other parts (memory, hard drives,
video card) I doubt most users in a double blind test could see much
difference in performance in actual use of the machines apart from editing
large image/video files. You should ask yourself what you want out of the
upgrade. If you want cutting edge I would go with the 64 bit chips for which
a version of Windows is actually available now (see the Microsoft web site)
and set up a dual boot system (32 and 64 bit OS) so you can actually use the
computer and your peripherals (64 bit drivers are what is missing). Intel
has recently announced it is moving away from its current 32 bit Pentium
architecture in favor of a "dual core" CPU that runs slower, hence cooler
with less power demand/waste, but is more efficient: ironic that the AMD
approach of more efficient work cycles is now being taken up by Intel,
champion of the brute force approach. It is not clear if Intel has fully
embraced the AMD style 64 bit CPU.