Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Running Win98 on a new PC ????

Running Win98 on a new PC ????

Daniel

Hello,

I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll have
exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem arose when I
noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software. That would put me
over my budget. I then realized that I still have my original Win98 disc
that was included with my first computer (now deceased). Could I just use
that as my operating system ? I'd save a bundle that way! Would this be
problematic in any way ? Win98 ?

Thanks!

Daniel

Lloyd Jones

If you know how to install Win 98 there should be no problem.

LJ

Thor

"Huge" sum? The XP Home upgrade disc is like $89-99, and the XP Pro OEM disc
can be found for around $140. I guess "huge sum" is in the eye of the
beholder. IMHO, putting it in perspective, it's a reasonable price,
considering all the OS does these days, it's complexity, and the fact that
the XP Home upgrade version is about the same price as the Win98, and Win95
upgrade discs when they were released years ago.

As to your question, you should be able to use WIn98 just fine. You may want
to double check your setup CD and make sure it is generic enough to install
on a different PC. Many OEM discs provided with name brand PCs will not
install on other hardware. Whoever is building your computer may also have
to contend with seeking out updated Win98 drivers for some components if
they aren't included with the hardware. Seriously though, if it were me, I'd
bite the financila bullet and get XP. It's well worth it for the added
stability and better hardware support.

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll have
> exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem arose when

> noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software. That would put me
> over my budget. I then realized that I still have my original Win98 disc
> that was included with my first computer (now deceased). Could I just use
> that as my operating system ? I'd save a bundle that way! Would this be
> problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

Lloyd Jones

I agree, I used Win 98 for years and thought it was pretty good but recently
I installed Windows XP Pro and it's a thousand times better than Win 98.

LJ

The Prophecy

Daniel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll
> have exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem
> arose when I noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software.
> That would put me over my budget. I then realized that I still have
> my original Win98 disc that was included with my first computer (now
> deceased). Could I just use that as my operating system ? I'd save a
> bundle that way! Would this be problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

IMO Win98 is a piece of crap OS compared to Win XP but since you don't want
the upgrade....

Yes, you could use 98 as your OS, setting it up should be fine but when you
start using it remember that it tends to crash quite often.

David

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wWloc.454726$Ig.203323@pd7tw2no>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll have
> exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem arose when I
> noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software. That would put me
> over my budget. I then realized that I still have my original Win98 disc
> that was included with my first computer (now deceased). Could I just use
> that as my operating system ? I'd save a bundle that way! Would this be
> problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

Im not sure what the HUGE sum is for xp. XP home upgrade retail is
about us $89. oem full version about the same. You have 98 so you
can use upgrade retail. Win98 would work but I would pay the extra
for oem or retail xp or use linux.
Dave

Plato

Thor wrote:

> "Huge" sum? The XP Home upgrade disc is like $89-99, and the XP Pro OEM disc
> can be found for around $140. I guess "huge sum" is in the eye of the
> beholder. IMHO, putting it in perspective, it's a reasonable price,

True. Several times I've been, well, sort of moneyless. Actually quite a
few times. It was interesting how your buying habits change overnight
and how much you start to value a few dimes or even a quarter tip. Once,
I had to kiss ass just to get and keep a $9/hour job. Heck, I'd even
over-inflate the tires on my car to get a few more miles/gallon. It can
happen to anybody at anytime. Its a good reason to keep your credit card
balance as low as possible even in the good times as yeah, things can
change overnight. Its quite shocking when you go to work one Monday and
your keycard dont open the door anymore

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Running Win98 on a new PC ????
>From: "The Prophecy" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 5/12/04 7:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>Daniel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll
>> have exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem
>> arose when I noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software.
>> That would put me over my budget. I then realized that I still have
>> my original Win98 disc that was included with my first computer (now
>> deceased). Could I just use that as my operating system ? I'd save a
>> bundle that way! Would this be problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Daniel

>IMO Win98 is a piece of crap OS compared to Win XP but since you don't want
>the upgrade....
>
>Yes, you could use 98 as your OS, setting it up should be fine but when you
>start using it remember that it tends to crash quite often.

I have been using 98 for years and it never crashed even once,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Daniel

Thanks for ALL your replies! I really apprciate it!

By "HUGE SUM" I meant that locally, in Canada, here's what WinXP Home costs:

http://tinyurl.com/2wwgr

Btw, Future Shop is a major retail chain of stores.

Daniel

PS: Were you getting your prices from eBay or something ? Sure, if WinXP
would be like 100 bucks then I'd go for it!

DeMoN LaG

(E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr) wrote in news:20040512133753.24684.00001450@mb-
m29.aol.com:

> I have been using 98 for years and it never crashed even once,

Either we are using different meanings of "Crash", you don't actually use
your computer ever, or you are lying.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Win98 vs Win98 SE - Bobb - Computer Information 12 12-14-2006 10:46 PM
Re: Win98 vs Win98 SE - Bobb - Computer Information 2 12-06-2006 06:52 PM
Running ASP.NET pages in a standalone win98 or winme pc Vanga Sasidhar ASP .Net 1 04-03-2004 11:05 AM
running Win98 mucko Computer Support 4 01-28-2004 05:06 PM
win98/xp dual boot- how to remove win98 Roger Marriott NZ Computing 1 11-17-2003 08:53 PM

Advertisments