Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New computer - how much can you delete?

New computer - how much can you delete?

Anne

I just bought a new computer it has Windows Home XP. Can I delete all
the extra stuff like AOl and messenger, and the stuff I don't plan on
using? Or is this harmful?

Night_Seer

Anne wrote:
> I just bought a new computer it has Windows Home XP. Can I delete all
> the extra stuff like AOl and messenger, and the stuff I don't plan on
> using? Or is this harmful?

You can UNINSTALL that stuff, but don't just delete things. You'll be
leaving behind a lot of gunk if you just delete folders. Go to your control
panel, and click on Add/Remove programs, and remove stuff you won't be
using.

--
Night_Seer

Chet

If you have plenty of disk (as most machines do these days) just delete the
screen icons for the shortcuts to those programs. The AOL and other
services are probably just a link to download their software and not the
whole bag. As for messenger, be careful as it is very imbedded with Windows
and you could end up affecting other stuff.
"Anne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I just bought a new computer it has Windows Home XP. Can I delete all
> the extra stuff like AOl and messenger, and the stuff I don't plan on
> using? Or is this harmful?

ProfGene

If the programs have an uninstall either in the control panel add remove
programs or in the program itself it would do no harm and if it is just a
setup program for installing say AOL it should also do no harm.