Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Building a new computer with SATA

Building a new computer with SATA

Beowulf

Hi

I am going to build a new computer with an Athlon FX-53 and im going
to use the Asus SK8V for my motherboard.

Anyway, my main question is, will the computer boot and install
Windows XP when i put it all together with an SATA drive only or do I
need to have a normal IDE drive to begin with, and then install my
SATA drive? Basically, I want to know if I need an IDE drive or can I
get everything done with just an SATA drive.

And my other quesion is that I'm pretty sure I need to use registered
memory in the new system, and I just want someone to verify that.

Thank You.

Scott Gardner

You should be able to do it with just a SATA drive. I built mine with
a RAID 0 array of two SATA drives as the only drives, and it worked
fine. I think I had to load a driver during the first part of the
Windows XP install so that it would recognize the drives, though. The
SATA driver disk came with the motherboard.

Scott Gardner