Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Why does my system keeps crashing

Why does my system keeps crashing

RMW Jervis

I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but it
keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
are these windows error reports?

I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when I
check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
processor nor system is over about 55 degrees. I have looked in the bios and
it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the machine
are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call the
system fan?

I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power supply
and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.

If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X 9
Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred

I would really appreciate some help on this,

Thanks
Wayne

msi

"RMW Jervis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4099dc3d$0$245$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but

it
> keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
> saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
> updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
> are these windows error reports?
>
> I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when

> check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
> processor nor system is over about 55 degrees. I have looked in the bios

and
> it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the

machine
> are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call

the
> system fan?
>
> I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

supply
> and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
>
> If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
> Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
> Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
> Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X

9
> Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
>
> I would really appreciate some help on this,
>
> Thanks
> Wayne

The bios saying the system fan is not working to me means you should try to
update the bios asap. The system fan could be the cpu fan or the power
supply fan. i don't know which it is talking about. One of the fans might
not be plugged into the motherboard correctly also if the bios says it's not
working. The system fan could also be the fan on the motherboard itself
covering the chipset if it has one. Not a cpu fan, or a video fan or psu,
but it would be on the motherboard itself somewhere. some have them and some
don't. But it's possible some fan may not be plugged into the mobo
correctly.

The error report is accurate. If you get a device driver error then it might
tell you what caused it. for me it would say nvidia which means the video
card. so i took the video card back and got an ATI Radeon 9700 pro and the
problem went away. So that is something to look at also.

Thor

"RMW Jervis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4099dc3d$0$245$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but

it
> keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
> saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
> updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
> are these windows error reports?
>
> I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when

> check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
> processor nor system is over about 55 degrees.

Does seem a tad warm to me for a T-bred chip, My XP2100 T-bred runs about
45C. But yours is not in typical lockup territory (~65+). Still, it depends
on how much the thing has a chance to cool down by the time you check the
BIOS temp after a lockup. Your CPU fan/heatsink may not be doing a very
effective job. I would advise using a temperature monitoring program in
windows, that way you can see how hot the thing is getting more easily from
time to time.

> I have looked in the bios and
> it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the

machine
> are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call

the
> system fan?

The system fan is usually either an auxilliary case fan or the power supply
fan (if externally powered), whichever is plugged into the system fan plug
on the motherboard. However, many case fans, and power supplies don't have
RPM monitoring, so even though the fan may be running, the motherboard
cannot tell without the tachometer circuit on the fan. If the case fan you
have plugged into the motherboard only has two wires, then it doesn't have a
tachometer circuit. If the fan has 3 wires, it should have a tach circuit,
and the motherboard should then get a reading from it.

> I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

supply
> and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
>
> If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
> Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
> Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
> Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X

9
> Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
>
> I would really appreciate some help on this,

Give us the exact error messages you are getting, to start with.

RMW Jervis

Thanks to you and the other Newsgroup reader who replied, for your advice.
at least I will have something to try now. I have been at a loose end with
it lately, not knowing what to do.
It was getting to the stage where I was going to buy her a factory made
machine and use hers to upgrade my machine. it still may happen if I cant
get a result.

...................................Wayne.......... ...........................

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RMW Jervis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4099dc3d$0$245$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but

> it
> > keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
> > saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
> > updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How

accurate
> > are these windows error reports?
> >
> > I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although

when
> > check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
> > processor nor system is over about 55 degrees.

> Does seem a tad warm to me for a T-bred chip, My XP2100 T-bred runs about
> 45C. But yours is not in typical lockup territory (~65+). Still, it

depends
> on how much the thing has a chance to cool down by the time you check the
> BIOS temp after a lockup. Your CPU fan/heatsink may not be doing a very
> effective job. I would advise using a temperature monitoring program in
> windows, that way you can see how hot the thing is getting more easily

from
> time to time.
>
> > I have looked in the bios and
> > it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the

> machine
> > are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call

> the
> > system fan?

> The system fan is usually either an auxilliary case fan or the power

supply
> fan (if externally powered), whichever is plugged into the system fan plug
> on the motherboard. However, many case fans, and power supplies don't have
> RPM monitoring, so even though the fan may be running, the motherboard
> cannot tell without the tachometer circuit on the fan. If the case fan you
> have plugged into the motherboard only has two wires, then it doesn't have

> tachometer circuit. If the fan has 3 wires, it should have a tach circuit,
> and the motherboard should then get a reading from it.
>

> > I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

> supply
> > and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
> >
> > If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
> > Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
> > Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
> > Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct

> 9
> > Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help on this,

> Give us the exact error messages you are getting, to start with.

Michael-NC

Check the bios settings and see if you have anything set to agressive. Also
run Memtest86.

"RMW Jervis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:409bcd97$0$591$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Thanks to you and the other Newsgroup reader who replied, for your advice.
> at least I will have something to try now. I have been at a loose end with
> it lately, not knowing what to do.
> It was getting to the stage where I was going to buy her a factory made
> machine and use hers to upgrade my machine. it still may happen if I cant
> get a result.

...................................Wayne.......... ...........................

> [...]

have
> > tachometer circuit. If the fan has 3 wires, it should have a tach

circuit,
> > and the motherboard should then get a reading from it.
> >

> > > I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

> > supply
> > > and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
> > >
> > > If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
> > > Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
> > > Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
> > > Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full

direct
> > 9
> > > Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
> > >
> > > I would really appreciate some help on this,

> > Give us the exact error messages you are getting, to start with.

Trent©

On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:33:39 +0100, "RMW Jervis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but it
>keeps crashing on a regular basis.

Describe 'crashing'.

Have a nice week...

Trent©