Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > monitor not displaying the RED for ..whenever it wants!!

monitor not displaying the RED for ..whenever it wants!!

fredcromer

My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on it,
the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a day
or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals, now
it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my
RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor, but i
don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it was OK
at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best FRED

---

Robert Baer

fredcromer wrote:

> My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on it,
> the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a day
> or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals, now
> it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my
> RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor, but i
> don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it was OK
> at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best FRED
>
> ---

The monitor has been used a lot, and a solder connection at the CRT
socket opened up.
This failure mechanism is common and easy (for an electronic tech) to
repair, giving additional useable life from 2-4 years.
Monitor disconnected and unplugged *NO* power!!
Remove the back of the monitor case, and then reliably connect a
grounding wire at the chassis and then poke other (baer) end under the
high voltage cap at the CRT, to short the high voltage out to the
chassis ground (for safety).
Unsolder the metal shield around the PCB that is at the back end of
the CRT; ther aer some tabs that will also have to be straightened to be
able to remove that shield.
Use solder wick and remove most of the solder globs at the CRT socket
connector on the PCB.
Then apply fresh solder (do not need as much as original), taking care
to have a good solder connection (*NO* cold solder joints).
Re-solder the shield back on; do not bother to twist the tabs - a
waste of time now and the next time you fix it.
Pull the shorting wire from the CRT cap and disconnect from chassis.
Re-assemble the case, and you are in business for anumber of years.
Here in the US, it costs $60 or more just to "bench" a monitor; you
want a friend that is an electronic tech to do this for free.
I have repaired many monitors this way.

Oldus Fartus

Robert Baer wrote:

> fredcromer wrote:
>
>>My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on it,
>>the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a day
>>or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals, now
>>it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my
>>RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor, but i
>>don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it was OK
>>at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best FRED
>>
>>---

> The monitor has been used a lot, and a solder connection at the CRT
> socket opened up.
> This failure mechanism is common and easy (for an electronic tech) to

Your advice would be the most irresponsible, and dangerous advice I have
ever seen offered.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> fredcromer wrote:
> >
> > My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on

it,
> > the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a

day
> > or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals,

now
> > it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my
> > RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor,

but i
> > don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it

was OK
> > at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best

FRED

> > ---

> The monitor has been used a lot, and a solder connection at the CRT
> socket opened up.

I've seen many do this due to a simple poor connection from an internal
molex plug on the main board. Monitors are usually full of wires plugged
into sockets using plastic connectors, and after many heat/cool cycles, some
just don't make very good connections after awhile. I've found that simply
and methodically unplugging and re-connecting each one of these will often
fix the problem. Another place to check is for a faulty VGA cable, or
socket.

Jerry G.

The monitor due to its age has probably gone intermittent on some of the
solder connections. Or, there may be some components failing. Since the red
is the faulty channel, the problem is most likely in the path of the red
processing. After a certain amount of hours they will all eventually fail.
The average lifespan for a monitor is about 30,000 to 50,000 hours,
depending on many factors.

An experienced tech with the proper training and tools can service the
monitor for you. There are many safety issues to be concerned with. I would
strongly suggest you do not service this monitor yourself, unless you comply
to the qualifications necessary.

You may find that the cost of servicing a monitor may be too expensive in
relation to buying a new one. When buying a used monitor, there are usually
going to be a lot of hours on it, therefore basically you are buying a
monitor that is very close to being used up.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Thor wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > fredcromer wrote:
> > >
> > > My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on

> it,
> > > the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a

> day
> > > or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals,

> now
> > > it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my
> > > RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor,

> but i
> > > don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it

> was OK
> > > at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best

> FRED
> > >
> > > ---

> > The monitor has been used a lot, and a solder connection at the CRT
> > socket opened up.

> I've seen many do this due to a simple poor connection from an internal
> molex plug on the main board. Monitors are usually full of wires plugged
> into sockets using plastic connectors, and after many heat/cool cycles, some
> just don't make very good connections after awhile. I've found that simply
> and methodically unplugging and re-connecting each one of these will often
> fix the problem. Another place to check is for a faulty VGA cable, or
> socket.

One color going out, or flickering before going out, indicates the
solder connection at the CRT socket has gone bad; nothing else.
I have seen this and fixed so many that i do not need to use the
safety grounding wire that i mentioned.
Only an experienced electronic technician should do the work; i
recommend the grounding wire for others.

Thor

> One color going out, or flickering before going out, indicates the
> solder connection at the CRT socket has gone bad; nothing else.

Simply not true. A bad VGA cable can cause it (VGA cables handle the red,
green and blue signals on separate wires). A poor connection from the wires
leading to the PCB on the back of the tube can cause it. It has more
potential causes than just a bad solder connection on that PCB. I don't deny
that what you claim is a *frequent* cause of it, but it by no means is the
ONLY cause. I have fixed monitors with this problem also. One of my bench
monitors did this and after I fixed it by replacing the VGA cable, it has
worked perfectly for going on 6 years now.

> I have seen this and fixed so many that i do not need to use the
> safety grounding wire that i mentioned.

I believe it unwise for any technician to not take the proper safety
precautions and short the secondary anode connection on the tube to ground
in order drain any residiual charge.

Robert Baer

Thor wrote:

> > One color going out, or flickering before going out, indicates the
> > solder connection at the CRT socket has gone bad; nothing else.

> Simply not true. A bad VGA cable can cause it (VGA cables handle the red,
> green and blue signals on separate wires). A poor connection from the wires
> leading to the PCB on the back of the tube can cause it. It has more
> potential causes than just a bad solder connection on that PCB. I don't deny
> that what you claim is a *frequent* cause of it, but it by no means is the
> ONLY cause. I have fixed monitors with this problem also. One of my bench
> monitors did this and after I fixed it by replacing the VGA cable, it has
> worked perfectly for going on 6 years now.
>
> > I have seen this and fixed so many that i do not need to use the
> > safety grounding wire that i mentioned.

> I believe it unwise for any technician to not take the proper safety
> precautions and short the secondary anode connection on the tube to ground
> in order drain any residiual charge.

Perhaps one percent of the color failures is due to a faulty cable
*at* the connector that goes to the computer, due to a severe bend
caused by the user pushing the computer against a wall of some sort.
I have seen no other causes, and like i said, i have encounters a lot
of these color outage problems.
I did not mention the cable problem due to the rarity i have seen
(once only in 40 years).