Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > FREE Update and security CD set from Microsoft

FREE Update and security CD set from Microsoft

Pepperoni

Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.
This set includes all updates through Feb. 2004 (website says Oct '03)
There is no charge either for the CDs or for postage.

Order your set directly from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Included is a years free subscription for antivirus protection from Computer
Associates, and a firewall protection package.

This set will save you time if you ever need to reload your OS. This could
mean HOURS saved if you are on a dialup connection. It only takes minutes
to order. No credit card info or payment for postage is needed.

Mine arrived today. Takes about 3 weeks

There is no easier way to apply critical updates.

Pepperoni

Laura Fredericks

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.

Stacey

Pepperoni wrote:

> Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.

> There is no easier way to apply critical updates.

No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.

The best way to avoid viruses is don't use windows....
--

Stacey

Jerry G.

The main problem is that once you get the CD disk, there are more updates
and corrections to download anyways. This is an ongoing problem. Your disk
will be good for about a few weeks from the time if its publication at the
very best.

One thing you did accomplish is that you gave MS your home address so that
they can send you lots of advertising, if they want to.

In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
no-disk!

--

Greetings,

Jerry G.
=====

"Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c79qs0$1c7ck$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.
This set includes all updates through Feb. 2004 (website says Oct '03)
There is no charge either for the CDs or for postage.

Order your set directly from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Included is a years free subscription for antivirus protection from Computer
Associates, and a firewall protection package.

This set will save you time if you ever need to reload your OS. This could
mean HOURS saved if you are on a dialup connection. It only takes minutes
to order. No credit card info or payment for postage is needed.

Mine arrived today. Takes about 3 weeks

There is no easier way to apply critical updates.

Pepperoni

DeMoN LaG

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7a310$67a$1
@news.eusc.inter.net:

> In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
> after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
> no-disk!

It comes with 2000 SP4, which from MS is:
Network Installation
Size 129 megabytes (MB)
Time 5 hours 20 minutes @ 56 Kbps

DirectX 9.0B, which is a 35MB download

Windows XP SP1, which is another 125 MB download

All in all, it is 281 megs of SPs and updates. If you were only an XP
user, you'd need ~160MB of those. I don't know about you, but when I go
to a customer's house, I don't want to sit through downloading a 125MB
service pack for XP through their 33.6kbps AOL connection. Even on my
own system, I'd rather be able to install service packs and security
fixes from CD than wait 15 or 20 minutes over my cable connection to
download them all. As for MS having my home address, so what? Are you
one of those people that runs around with tinfoil on your head so the
government can't spy on your thoughts? Do you realistically think that
MS is going to either waste their time spying on you to see if you are
stealing their software or using competitors software or something? Or
are you that concerned with them spending money to send you junk mail
that you simply throw out or use for your cat's litter box?
--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Shane

"DeMoN LaG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7a310$67a$1
> @news.eusc.inter.net:
>
> > In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
> > after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
> > no-disk!

> It comes with 2000 SP4, which from MS is:
> Network Installation
> Size 129 megabytes (MB)
> Time 5 hours 20 minutes @ 56 Kbps
>
> DirectX 9.0B, which is a 35MB download
>
> Windows XP SP1, which is another 125 MB download
>
> All in all, it is 281 megs of SPs and updates. If you were only an XP
> user, you'd need ~160MB of those. I don't know about you, but when I go
> to a customer's house, I don't want to sit through downloading a 125MB
> service pack for XP through their 33.6kbps AOL connection. Even on my
> own system, I'd rather be able to install service packs and security
> fixes from CD than wait 15 or 20 minutes over my cable connection to
> download them all.

In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
each one.

btw to avoid installing particular updates, copy the cd to the hd, comment
out the relevent lines in the relevent infs then d-click autorun.exe. Or
burn a new cd.

Shane

---

CJM

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c79tap$1e66h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.

And what is he going to do with it?

Microsoft's record on spam is rather good. They dont trade in personal data,
and they dont contact ordinary punters directly.

CJM

kony

On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:00:55 +0100, "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
>that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
>each one.

You don't HAVE to reboot between each win9x patch, even if it prompts
with "windows must restart blah blah blah". It's true that for overly
cautious individuals it'd be a good idea to reboot between each in case
any particular patch causes failure to boot (a few DID cause failure to
even boot to safe mode, for example a 1394 patch conflict with systray.exe
comes to mind) but then if you used the automated update CD to install
several at once you'd still be in same situation as if simply installing
several individual patches without reboot inbetween.

On the other hand, it certainly is easier to use the update CD.

Shane

"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:00:55 +0100, "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
> >that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
> >each one.
> >

> You don't HAVE to reboot between each win9x patch, even if it prompts
> with "windows must restart blah blah blah". It's true that for overly
> cautious individuals it'd be a good idea to reboot between each in case
> any particular patch causes failure to boot (a few DID cause failure to
> even boot to safe mode, for example a 1394 patch conflict with systray.exe
> comes to mind) but then if you used the automated update CD to install
> several at once you'd still be in same situation as if simply installing
> several individual patches without reboot inbetween.
>
> On the other hand, it certainly is easier to use the update CD.

The problem with not rebooting between updates is the potential for the
wrong version of different versions of the same file being installed. Hence
the QChain tool for NT (which isn't itself reliable prior to Win2k). The
update cd essentially QChains the 9x patches.

Shane

---

Wizard

Where have YOU been? This is old news. <yawn>