Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > changing the lowest possible resolution

changing the lowest possible resolution

yawnmoth

i recently purchased an ATI Radeon 7000 for an older computer of mine,
and installed it under Windows ME, by temporarily using my only
monitor on it. It installed fine, and I was able to set my
resolution, for the TV-out, to 640x480.

since then, i've stopped using my only monitor on that computer, and
am now only using my TV. i decided to reformat the computer, and
install Windows XP. this worked, but... now, even after installing
the ATI drivers, the lowest resolution I can set for my TV is 800x600.
This resolution is too high for my TV (which doesn't have component
inputs, let alone support 480p or higher), and is resulting in all the
text being sorta fuzzy (which is what I would expect at this
resolution).

Anyways, any ideas on how to change my lowest possible resolution to
what it was before the reformat - to 640x480?

any help would be appreciated - thanks

Jerry G.

This is the XP drivers for your display. Unfortunately you cannot install
the old drivers with your card. The newer TV sets will support the higher
output of your card.

You should contact ATI for details.

--

Greetings,

Jerry G.
=====

"yawnmoth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[...]

Thor

have you checked the "list all modes" option in the advanced display
settings under the "adapter" tab? If it's there, you may have a 640x480/60Hz
option there that will work with the TV.

"yawnmoth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> i recently purchased an ATI Radeon 7000 for an older computer of mine,
> and installed it under Windows ME, by temporarily using my only
> monitor on it. It installed fine, and I was able to set my
> resolution, for the TV-out, to 640x480.
>
> since then, i've stopped using my only monitor on that computer, and
> am now only using my TV. i decided to reformat the computer, and
> install Windows XP. this worked, but... now, even after installing
> the ATI drivers, the lowest resolution I can set for my TV is 800x600.
> This resolution is too high for my TV (which doesn't have component
> inputs, let alone support 480p or higher), and is resulting in all the
> text being sorta fuzzy (which is what I would expect at this
> resolution).
>
> Anyways, any ideas on how to change my lowest possible resolution to
> what it was before the reformat - to 640x480?
>
> any help would be appreciated - thanks

ProfGene

It took me a long time to figure that one out after I got XP and wanted to
play a game that only worked in 640x480 but I finally figured it out. You
go into control panel and click on dispaly then settings, then advanced then
graphics card and if you look in the middle of the screen you will se a tab
you can click on that says modes. When you click on this you will have many
options for 640x480 in including 16 high color.