Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > From WinME to XP...good move????eh?

From WinME to XP...good move????eh?

fredcromer

I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

---

Thor

You would have to upgrade your memory to about 256MB minimum for it to run
XP acceptably. Then there is the chance that your old board and other
hardware won't work well with XP. Also 333Mhz is awfully slow for running
such a big OS as XP. Would advise that if you want the stability of an
NT-based os, then try Windows 2000 instead. It would probably run
considerably better on such an old machine. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

"fredcromer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4097e307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

CPU....would
> it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
> month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
> THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C
>

> ---

derek / nul

Not a good idea, the system will not run XP very well.
Stick to ME

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:38:29 +0100, "fredcromer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
>it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
>month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
>THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C
>

>---

S.Heenan

fredcromer wrote:
> I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz
> CPU....would it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i
> upgraded from W98 a month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't
> do that WinME will?? THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

The hard drive size is marginal for Windows XP. You will need a minimum of
256MB of RAM. CPU is fine. If you can upgrade the RAM and justify the cost
of Win XP, go ahead. Windows 2000 Pro will provide the same stability while
being easier on system resources.

Chessnut

I agree with everyone else, and had a bad personal experience with this. I
didn't realize how much resources XP would take up after upgrading my old
system.

"fredcromer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4097e307$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

Jerry G.

Your machine is too old to run XP properly. You will need to upgrade the RAM
to at least 256 mb or 128 mb at the very minimum to start with. As for the
speed, you may find the machine to operate a bit slow under XP, because of
the processor and buss speed capability. The hard drive is also going to not
have as much space. The operating system alone will fill much more of the
hard drive than the older operating systems.

The best all around operating system for a machine of the age of your
machine would be Win 98. It is in fact better than ME for stability, and
dependability.

Or, if you want something that is extremely stable, you can go to an older
version of Linux that is of the level for your machine type. With Linux, you
will have to start over again with most of your software. You will also have
to learn the commands for it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG