Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Latest Virus Problem

Latest Virus Problem

Goforit

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> >
> > Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4095E47C.D508E2A3
> > @earthlink.net:
> >
> > > Are you saying that WinXP has a *useable* "safe mode" ????
> > > Why i ask, is that Win2K does *NOT*; one gets a black screen with

the
> > > words "safe mode" in each corner and absolutely *nothing* else.

I can't even get my XP safe mode to work. No matter how quickly or how many
times I pound the key, I can never get it to start in safe mode.

derek / nul

On Tue, 04 May 2004 07:03:56 GMT, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thor wrote:
>>
>> > Are you saying that WinXP has a *useable* "safe mode" ????
>> > Why i ask, is that Win2K does *NOT*; one gets a black screen with the
>> > words "safe mode" in each corner and absolutely *nothing* else.

>> It's usable on WinXP *and* Win2k. But perhaps not in your case if something
>> is screwed up and prevents safe mode from working.

> I have done about eight fresh installs on clean hadr drives, from a
>genuine Win 2000 OEM CD.
> And the so-called "safe mode" always has looked, and failed to be of
>any use, like i mentioned.

W2k safe mode works fine here?

> I also have tried installing "over" a previously installed Win 2000 =
>ditto.
> Therefore, i naturally assumed that M$ again did their wonderful
>programming tricks of "improvements".
>
> Would the "problem" be a result of installing Win2K in a 4th
>partition, where two are DOS and one is Win98SE?

Don't know but running from the second here.

Derek

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> >
> > > Are you saying that WinXP has a *useable* "safe mode" ????
> > > Why i ask, is that Win2K does *NOT*; one gets a black screen with

the
> > > words "safe mode" in each corner and absolutely *nothing* else.

> > It's usable on WinXP *and* Win2k. But perhaps not in your case if

something
> > is screwed up and prevents safe mode from working.

> I have done about eight fresh installs on clean hadr drives, from a
> genuine Win 2000 OEM CD.
> And the so-called "safe mode" always has looked, and failed to be of
> any use, like i mentioned.
> I also have tried installing "over" a previously installed Win 2000 =
> ditto.
> Therefore, i naturally assumed that M$ again did their wonderful
> programming tricks of "improvements".
>
> Would the "problem" be a result of installing Win2K in a 4th
> partition, where two are DOS and one is Win98SE?

All I can tell you is that I've never had such a problem with safe mode in
Win2K, or XP. I don't know if that unusual config would have anything to do
with it.

Robert Baer

Thor wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> the
> > >
> > > It's usable on WinXP *and* Win2k. But perhaps not in your case if

> something
> > > is screwed up and prevents safe mode from working.

> > I have done about eight fresh installs on clean hadr drives, from a
> > genuine Win 2000 OEM CD.
> > And the so-called "safe mode" always has looked, and failed to be of
> > any use, like i mentioned.
> > I also have tried installing "over" a previously installed Win 2000 =
> > ditto.
> > Therefore, i naturally assumed that M$ again did their wonderful
> > programming tricks of "improvements".
> >
> > Would the "problem" be a result of installing Win2K in a 4th
> > partition, where two are DOS and one is Win98SE?

> All I can tell you is that I've never had such a problem with safe mode in
> Win2K, or XP. I don't know if that unusual config would have anything to do
> with it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.