Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Robert Baer

Brandy wrote:

> I'm surprised noone else noticed this, but I read that to be like he wants
> to send a donation or something, and can't do it via electronic transfer
> through the bank, so he wants to mail a check, money order, or something
> like that. Maybe he is uninformed about the possibility of paypal or
> something, maybe those services aren't available where he's at. Maybe I'm
> wrong, I have no idea what site you have, what it does, or why he'd want to
> send money, but you could set up a PO box, only costs $20 for 6 months, and
> give him that addy to send money to. Post the address and maybe we'll send
> you money too!
>
> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> news:4094b15d$0$43018$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
> > > limit.
> > > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
> > > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
> > > years to recover...

> > I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
> > of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
> > use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
> > I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
> > for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
> > new ones now.
> >
> > Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
> > card I get
> > sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
> > "protection". It's a
> > silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
> > for it anyway.
> > Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
> > SALESPERSON about this
> > they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
> >
> > Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
> > Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
> > the credit card company doesn't want
> > to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
> > who shipped the
> > goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
> > doesn't lose a penny either.

I believe that i stated that a bank wire transfer ("electronic
transfer" is what you called it) has some problems:
1) It is expensive - typically $36 for transfer from here to a foreign
bank; i suspect the rate would be equivalent at minimum going the other
way.
2) There is *NO* guarantee that the money will get where you state (bank
info and personal account info is required).
So, one must not only pay a premium to wire transfer money, the money
goes out and could completely dissapear!
I have done this (sent money to someone in Ethipoia), so i speak from
experience.

Plato

Robert Baer wrote:

> So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
> - except..
> ..Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
> In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.

I remember back in /95 signing up for the $5/month MSN dialup. I couldnt
cancel it ie the links to cancel never worked so I cancelled the credit
card they were charging. Lo and behold, MS found another credit card I
had and started charging _it_. Easy to fix tho, I just sent a letter to
that card and said it was fraud. Pretty sneakie on ms's part tho eh?

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
> >
> > So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
> > - except..
> > ..Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
> > In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.

> I remember back in /95 signing up for the $5/month MSN dialup. I couldnt
> cancel it ie the links to cancel never worked so I cancelled the credit
> card they were charging. Lo and behold, MS found another credit card I
> had and started charging _it_. Easy to fix tho, I just sent a letter to
> that card and said it was fraud. Pretty sneakie on ms's part tho eh?

"honest" is the first term i thought of.
Too bad the credit card company did not drag them into Federal
Court...