Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Plato

In todays email. Opinions?

"I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> In todays email. Opinions?
>
> "I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
> service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
> way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
> through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
electronic device?
That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
it is supposed to be) later?
Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...

Oldus Fartus

Plato wrote:

> In todays email. Opinions?
>

> "I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
> service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
> way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
> through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
compare headers.

It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Plato

Oldus Fartus wrote:

> I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
> compare headers.
>
> It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
> at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.

grin, a "little" fishy? lol

I was just wondering how big this scam was or if it was just intended
for me.

Plato

Robert Baer wrote:

> I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
> It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
> electronic device?
> That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
> it is supposed to be) later?
> Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
> are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...

I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
> >
> > I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
> > It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
> > electronic device?
> > That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
> > it is supposed to be) later?
> > Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
> > are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...

> I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
> he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.

Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
limit.
Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
years to recover...

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> Oldus Fartus wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
> > compare headers.
> >
> > It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
> > at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.

> grin, a "little" fishy? lol
>
> I was just wondering how big this scam was or if it was just intended
> for me.

You were probably a randomlt chosen victum.

Plato

Robert Baer wrote:

> > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
> > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
> >

> Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
> limit.
> Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
> possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
> years to recover...

I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
new ones now.

Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
card I get
sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
"protection". It's a
silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
for it anyway.
Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
SALESPERSON about this
they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.

Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
the credit card company doesn't want
to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
who shipped the
goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
doesn't lose a penny either.

Brandy

I'm surprised noone else noticed this, but I read that to be like he wants
to send a donation or something, and can't do it via electronic transfer
through the bank, so he wants to mail a check, money order, or something
like that. Maybe he is uninformed about the possibility of paypal or
something, maybe those services aren't available where he's at. Maybe I'm
wrong, I have no idea what site you have, what it does, or why he'd want to
send money, but you could set up a PO box, only costs $20 for 6 months, and
give him that addy to send money to. Post the address and maybe we'll send
you money too!

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:4094b15d$0$43018$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Baer wrote:
> >
> > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
> > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
> > >

> > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
> > limit.
> > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
> > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
> > years to recover...

> I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
> of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
> use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
> I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
> for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
> new ones now.
>
> Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
> card I get
> sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
> "protection". It's a
> silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
> for it anyway.
> Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
> SALESPERSON about this
> they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
>
> Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
> Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
> the credit card company doesn't want
> to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
> who shipped the
> goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
> doesn't lose a penny either.

Robert Baer

Plato wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
> >
> > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
> > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
> > >

> > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
> > limit.
> > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
> > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
> > years to recover...

> I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
> of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
> use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
> I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
> for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
> new ones now.
>
> Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
> card I get
> sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
> "protection". It's a
> silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
> for it anyway.
> Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
> SALESPERSON about this
> they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
>
> Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
> Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
> the credit card company doesn't want
> to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
> who shipped the
> goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
> doesn't lose a penny either.

So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
- except..
...Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.
Earthlink bitches every month concerning an invalid credit card.
Since i was paid up for about 8 months of service after i terminated
my credit card, i gave them a quick accounting of their frauds and
attempted frauds and *told* them that they will continue to bill me via
e-mail and that it would not be in their best interest to charge me $2
for Snail billing or in any other way to diddle my account.
I went thru this hassle every month and after 3 or so times i sent
them an impolite letter telling them to back off, and that i had about
1/8 inch of documetation showing their garbage - and that my lawyer had
a copy.
Sheets of documentation (their hassling e-mails) get added every
month.
This month i got tired of that, and marked their e-mails as SPAM in
their web-mail service (which i use exclusively to filter their
filtering).