Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Upgrade AMD K6 500MHZ

Upgrade AMD K6 500MHZ

jusuk

Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And what
name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

Much obliged J

---

Thor

If you are upgrading from a K6 500 chip, you'll need a whole new
motherboard, and newer memory modules, because yours K6 500 is Socket 7, not
Socket "A".

"jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And

what
> name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??
>
> Much obliged J
>

> ---

DeMoN LaG

"jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And
> what name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

If it truly is a socket A board (which means this is new, as the K6 is
Super Socket 7 and not Socket A) it could be any speed from 600 mhz through
2.2 ghz. It could also be a Duron (spitfire core), Duron (morgan core),
Athlon, Athlon4, Athlon XP (Palamino, Thoroughbred, or Barton cores), of
varying speeds.

You need to consult your motherboard manual for the list of front side bus
speeds, multipliers, and CPUs supported. If you don't understand what any
of this is, you honestly should let someone else upgrade your computer for
you.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

jusuk

Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are upgrading from a K6 500 chip, you'll need a whole new
> motherboard, and newer memory modules, because yours K6 500 is Socket 7,

not
> Socket "A".
>

> ..
> "jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And

> what
> > name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??
> >
> > Much obliged J

Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years old
or so?

---

jusuk

DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message
> "jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And
> > what name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

> If it truly is a socket A board (which means this is new, as the K6 is
> Super Socket 7 and not Socket A) it could be any speed from 600 mhz

through
> 2.2 ghz. It could also be a Duron (spitfire core), Duron (morgan core),
> Athlon, Athlon4, Athlon XP (Palamino, Thoroughbred, or Barton cores), of
> varying speeds.
>
> You need to consult your motherboard manual for the list of front side bus
> speeds, multipliers, and CPUs supported. If you don't understand what any
> of this is, you honestly should let someone else upgrade your computer for
> you.
>
> --

Thanks, J

---

Thor

> Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
> information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years

old
> or so?

Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards pretty
much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.

jusuk

Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
> > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years

> old
> > or so?

> Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
> It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
> used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

pretty
> much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.

Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System Info
(W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

---

AdamC

> Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
> > > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3

years
> > old
> > > or so?

> > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
> > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
> > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

> pretty
> > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
> >

> Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

Info
> (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

That would be AMD K6-2 with 3D Now! technology. That was my first computer
in 1999!

Adam

Thor

"jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
> > > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3

years
> > old
> > > or so?

> > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
> > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
> > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

> pretty
> > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
> >

> Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

Info
> (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

Hope it was *very* cheap. Because it was *very* old stock that someone sold
you. Whatever the case, you are talking a new motherboard, processor, and
memory to upgrade.

jusuk

Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jusuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

for

> years
> > > old
> > >
> > > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6

500Mhz.
> > > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6

chips
> > > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

> > pretty
> > > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
> > >

> > Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

> Info
> > (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

> Hope it was *very* cheap. Because it was *very* old stock that someone

sold
> you. Whatever the case, you are talking a new motherboard, processor, and
> memory to upgrade.

300, thanks, looks like overclocking is the way to go?

---

Problem: No mouse & 16 colors only, Win98- 500Mhz lbbss Computer Support 18 11-26-2008 08:21 PM
Is 500mhz enough? Don Computer Support 9 07-15-2005 06:07 AM
Problem: No mouse Video ok now, Win98- 500Mhz lbbss Computer Support 0 11-28-2004 08:11 PM
PIII 500mhz upgrade j smith Computer Information 14 04-10-2004 12:35 PM
will Win 2k work well on K-6 500Mhz system, 128MB ram? Aptiva lbbs Computer Support 9 12-13-2003 05:34 PM

Advertisments