Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New Guy

New Guy

Rafaelthatmf

Wondering if I can get direction on group most likely to have
information regarding ‘cleaning up' my computer. I get frequent
errors while searching the Internet which initiates a debugging
program. What do I do with the information provided from this
debugging operation? I also would like to install the adware and
spyware software discussed here but do not know where to find it.
Also my start up page changes occasionally and I wonder what causes
this and how do I stop it? Thank you for your kind directions.

The Prophecy

Rafaelthatmf wrote:
> Wondering if I can get direction on group most likely to have
> information regarding 'cleaning up' my computer. I get frequent
> errors while searching the Internet which initiates a debugging
> program. What do I do with the information provided from this
> debugging operation? I also would like to install the adware and
> spyware software discussed here but do not know where to find it.
> Also my start up page changes occasionally and I wonder what causes
> this and how do I stop it? Thank you for your kind directions.

Spyware is your problem (See bottom of this post). Another good idea would
be to check out "°Mike°'s" basic computer maintenance webpage (Also see
bottom of this post).

--
Install, then immediately update and run, at least, the first four.

Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotS&D Aims for the dialers, trojans,
hijackers and security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

CoolWebShredder

HijackThis
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

"°Mike°'s" Basic computer maintenance

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Rafaelthatmf wrote:
> Wondering if I can get direction on group most likely to have
> information regarding ‘cleaning up' my computer. I get frequent
> errors while searching the Internet which initiates a debugging
> program. What do I do with the information provided from this
> debugging operation?

you dont.

If you're using internet explorer:

Tools > Options > Advanced

under "Browsing", make sure "Disable Script Debugging" is checked.

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...11&search.y=14

> Also my start up page changes occasionally and I wonder what causes
> this and how do I stop it?

Run adaware (link above)

Thank you for your kind directions.

Plato

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

> under "Browsing", make sure "Disable Script Debugging" is checked.

No matter what I did on my pc, and yes I tried all the tweaks, I
couldn't turn it off until I deleted the file(s) that run it.
Considering that this win98SE I'm using now is 4 years old without a
reload/or overlay install, and considering that I test out more stuff in
a week than most do in a year, it's not suprising

ProfGene

Just do a Google search for Spybot or Adaware and you will find them both
and they are both free programs that will clean up a lot of planted spyware.
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...