Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > OUTLOOK EXPRESS????

Reply
Thread Tools

OUTLOOK EXPRESS????

 
 
Adam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2004
Hello everyone! My outlook express is playing up and I don't know why. I
have a 2.8 Athlon, 512mb RAM and a 120GB hard drive and I am running win XP.
Outlook express doesn't always load up? It will get as far as the little
blue startup screen and that's it! When I am Synchronizing the news accounts
it takes forever too, I have 1MB broadband and this has never been a problem
before with outlook it is just recent. Can anyone please help? Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pepperoni
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2004
Do you ever cleanup your saved messages? Tools/options/maintenance/cleanup
now. I usually delete headers and messages (you can also delete just the
body of the messages) and then compress what's left. Your old messages may
be just too bulky to handle.

What's your AV? some don't work well with outlook. My Avast just started
acting up in Outlook. I've been getting page dump errors with Avast
running in Outlook, when I try to open a message.


"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R%djc.189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone! My outlook express is playing up and I don't know why. I
> have a 2.8 Athlon, 512mb RAM and a 120GB hard drive and I am running win

XP.
> Outlook express doesn't always load up? It will get as far as the little
> blue startup screen and that's it! When I am Synchronizing the news

accounts
> it takes forever too, I have 1MB broadband and this has never been a

problem
> before with outlook it is just recent. Can anyone please help? Thanks.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Weyoun the Dancing Borg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
Pepperoni wrote:

> Do you ever cleanup your saved messages? Tools/options/maintenance/cleanup
> now. I usually delete headers and messages (you can also delete just the
> body of the messages) and then compress what's left. Your old messages may
> be just too bulky to handle.
>
> What's your AV? some don't work well with outlook. My Avast just started
> acting up in Outlook. I've been getting page dump errors with Avast
> running in Outlook, when I try to open a message.


Whilst not asked, a good alternative to OE is "Thunderbird" available
from www.mozilla.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
Weyoun the Dancing Borg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:RDsjc.219$q76.121
@newsfe1-win:

> Whilst not asked, a good alternative to OE is "Thunderbird" available
> from www.mozilla.org


Thunderbird is a pile of junk. I used to think Netscape 3.x and 4.x had
good news capabilities, but then I realized that both the mail and news of
3.x, 4.x, and 5 (Netscape 6/7) are completely horrid. Outlook Express is
better at news, but only marginally because it doesn't natively support
yenc and it has issues with beginning posts with stuff that makes it look
like an attachment. For mail, OE is IMHO complete junk. In a week, I've
had roughly 45 phone calls from 45 different users who have problems with
Outlook Express's default configuration. Not to mention all the security
holes.

For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
of the other similar programs.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Weyoun the Dancing Borg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
DeMoN LaG wrote:


> Thunderbird is a pile of junk.


Ya think? I've never had any major problems with it - I find it's more
stable than OE is, and has less "missing" posts which is a... feature,
I've come to expect from OE. What makes you dislike TB so much?

I use TB for newsgroups as well as e-mail.




> For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
> recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
> of the other similar programs.


I tried Eudora but never liked it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
VWWall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
DeMoN LaG wrote:


> Thunderbird is a pile of junk. I used to think Netscape 3.x and 4.x had
> good news capabilities, but then I realized that both the mail and news of
> 3.x, 4.x, and 5 (Netscape 6/7) are completely horrid. Outlook Express is
> better at news, but only marginally because it doesn't natively support
> yenc and it has issues with beginning posts with stuff that makes it look
> like an attachment. For mail, OE is IMHO complete junk. In a week, I've
> had roughly 45 phone calls from 45 different users who have problems with
> Outlook Express's default configuration. Not to mention all the security
> holes.


After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.
>
> For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
> recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
> of the other similar programs.


I tried X-News--more than I needed. Firefox does a pretty good download
job. I use Star to get multiple feeds going. I wonder how much that
improves a typical dial-up download. It's kinda like taking surface
streets instead of the freeway. I may not be faster, but the scenery's
better!

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.
William of Occam.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
VWWall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ySyjc.15114$e4.8057
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
> Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
> your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.


I use Firefox, but for anything other than the most basic email and usenet
needs Thunderbird is in way over it's head.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Weyoun the Dancing Borg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2004
DeMoN LaG wrote:

> VWWall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ySyjc.15114$e4.8057
> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
>
>>After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
>>Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
>>your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.

>
>
> I use Firefox, but for anything other than the most basic email and usenet
> needs Thunderbird is in way over it's head.
>



do you think?

how is that so? it's served me for 4 or 5 months with no problems?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco Meeting Place Outlook 2000 Outlook 98 error ?? jmickler@cinci.rr.com Cisco 0 04-05-2006 12:23 PM
Outlook Error when opening Calender or Outlook Today =?Utf-8?B?c2FuZHdvcm0=?= MCSE 3 10-12-2005 05:38 PM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express rifleman Computer Support 6 06-23-2003 04:24 PM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express Kenneth Marson Computer Support 3 06-21-2003 10:06 PM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express °Mike° Computer Support 0 06-21-2003 06:59 PM



Advertisments