Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HELP please - page errors

HELP please - page errors

Stef

Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!

I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
"page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
says

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
onlineservices.

Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
starts then goes to a page saying

Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
your computer's time setting.

To check your date and time setting:

1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

Will Denny

Hi

Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high - Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that, have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>
> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
> says
>

> res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
> onlineservices.
>

> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
> starts then goes to a page saying
>

> Windows Update Error
>
> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
> your computer's time setting.
>
> To check your date and time setting:
>
> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

---

Stef

No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security settings
right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.

"Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi

Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>
> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
> says

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
> onlineservices.
>

> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

it
> starts then goes to a page saying
>

> Windows Update Error
>
> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

in
> your computer's time setting.
>
> To check your date and time setting:
>
> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

and
> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

---

Will Denny

Hi

What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ke6jc.36552$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security settings
> right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
>
> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
> pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
> Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
> have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
>
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
>> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>>
>> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
>> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
>> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
>> says
>>

> res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
>> onlineservices.
>>

>> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

> it
>> starts then goes to a page saying
>>

>> Windows Update Error
>>
>> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

> in
>> your computer's time setting.
>>
>> To check your date and time setting:
>>
>> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
>> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

> and
>> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
>>

> ---

---

Stef

Windows Update Error
I get:

Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
your computer's time setting.
To check your date and time setting:
1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.

The date and time IS correct.

"Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi

What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ke6jc.36552$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security

settings
> right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
>
> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
> pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
> Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
> have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
>
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
>> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>>
>> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
>> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
>> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page

it
>> says

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
>> onlineservices.
>>

>> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

> it
>> starts then goes to a page saying
>>

>> Windows Update Error
>>
>> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

> in
>> your computer's time setting.
>>
>> To check your date and time setting:
>>
>> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
>> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

> and
>> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
>>

> ---

---

Will Denny

Hi

Yes, your date and time are correct - same as mine!! May I suggest that you post your problem in the Windows Update News Group:

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1D7jc.36562$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Windows Update Error
> I get:
>
> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
> your computer's time setting.
> To check your date and time setting:
> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>
> The date and time IS correct.
>
> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
>
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ke6jc.36552$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
>> No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security

> settings
>> right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
>>
>> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
>> pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
>> Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
>> have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>>
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
>>> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>>>
>>> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
>>> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
>>> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page

> it
>>> says
>>>

> res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
>>> onlineservices.
>>>

>>> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

>> it
>>> starts then goes to a page saying
>>>

>>> Windows Update Error
>>>
>>> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

>> in
>>> your computer's time setting.
>>>
>>> To check your date and time setting:
>>>
>>> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
>>> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>>> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

>> and
>>> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
>>>

>> ---
>>

> ---

---

TrentŠ

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:33:53 +0100, "Stef"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>
>I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
>However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
>"page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
>says
>

>res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
>onlineservices.
>

>Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
>starts then goes to a page saying
>

>Windows Update Error
>
>Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
>your computer's time setting.
>
>To check your date and time setting:
>
> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
>spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

Did you disable the firewall?

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Stef

Have done so, but with no response. I'm getting desperate now and seriously
thinking of uninstalling XP and going back to 98. Can anyone help??

> [...]

> it
>>> says

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
>>> onlineservices.
>>>

>>> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

>> it
>>> starts then goes to a page saying
>>>

>>> Windows Update Error
>>>
>>> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a

discrepancy
>> in
>>> your computer's time setting.
>>>
>>> To check your date and time setting:
>>>
>>> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
>>> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
>>> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

>> and
>>> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

---

Camel Toe

so its just a few pages that wont load? that halifax site and the WU site?
or are no sites at all loading up? if no sites at all are loading up, are
you getting an IP address from your ISP? Do you have Eastlink or Aliant?

JC

"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rumjc.36712$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Have done so, but with no response. I'm getting desperate now and

seriously
> thinking of uninstalling XP and going back to 98. Can anyone help??
>
> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Yes, your date and time are correct - same as mine!! May I suggest that

you
> post your problem in the Windows Update News Group:

> --
>
> Will Denny
>
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1D7jc.36562$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Windows Update Error
> > I get:
> >
> > Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a

discrepancy
> in
> > your computer's time setting.
> > To check your date and time setting:
> > 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> > 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
> >
> > The date and time IS correct.
> >
> > "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> >
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ke6jc.36552$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> >> No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security

> > settings
> >> right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
> >>
> >> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:uJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax

> web
> >> pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too

> high -
> >> Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing

that,
> >> have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >>
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> "Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

the

page
> > it

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/

updates
> >> it

> discrepancy
> >> in

clear
> >> and
> >>>

> >> ---
> >>

> > ---
> >

> ---

Stef

"Stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RL4jc.36542$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
>
> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
> says

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
> onlineservices.
>

> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

it
> starts then goes to a page saying
>

> Windows Update Error
>
> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

in
> your computer's time setting.
>
> To check your date and time setting:
>
> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

and
> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

Errr--- found out what the prob was. I didn't have SSL enabled. Panic over!
Sorry folks.