Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Question: Windows-System error

Question: Windows-System error

Ken Lamb

Greetings,
I have a desktop with charter cable internet.
I bought a Linksys wireless router and adapter card for my laptop.
My OS is XP Pro on both.
When I start up the laptop the error window with the red ball "X" pops up
stating:
Windows-System Error
A duplicate name exists on the network.

I hit the ok button and proceed.
It is just annoying, how do I get rid of this prompt?
On XP my family all have different log on accounts and they are the same on
the laptop. Is this something I am just going to have to live with?
TIA,
Ken
P.S.
I have the trojan worm PSW.Bispy.A and .C.
Downloaded the fix from Grisoft. rebooted in safemode as instructed. Ran the
fix and it is still there.
Is this TW harmful?
My anti virus is AVG 7.0 (the paid version)
Thanks again

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Duane Arnold

"Ken Lamb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Greetings,
> I have a desktop with charter cable internet.
> I bought a Linksys wireless router and adapter card for my laptop.
> My OS is XP Pro on both.
> When I start up the laptop the error window with the red ball "X" pops
> up stating:
> Windows-System Error
> A duplicate name exists on the network.

> I hit the ok button and proceed.
> It is just annoying, how do I get rid of this prompt?
> On XP my family all have different log on accounts and they are the
> same on the laptop. Is this something I am just going to have to live
> with? TIA,

It seems to me that you left the computer with the default name the Win XP
O/S assigns to the machine when the O/S is installed and more than one
computer is on the network Workgroup with the same name. You can right
click the Control Panel/Properties/Computer Name/Change button and give the
computer a name MYlaptop the other one MYdesktop.

> Ken
> P.S.
> I have the trojan worm PSW.Bispy.A and .C.
> Downloaded the fix from Grisoft. rebooted in safemode as instructed.
> Ran the fix and it is still there.
> Is this TW harmful?
> My anti virus is AVG 7.0 (the paid version)

I suggest that you go to alt.comp-anti-virus for your solution. They will
help you there.

After you cleaned things up, I suggest that you secure the XP O/S. If the
O/S is not secure, than nothing on the machine will be secure and can lead
to a compromise.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

You may want to better secure the LAN by implementing IPsec that's on the
XP O/S.

All you have to do is implement the AnalogX Secpol file on the machines and
you're covered. You may have to enable the *client* for POP3, SMTP, HTTP
etc, etc.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm

You may also want to use Google and do a search on *Wireless Security for
the Home*.

Duane

Ken Lamb

Thank you!