Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help for IE

Help for IE

Robert Baer

I use Netscape, and where necessary, Opera.
But on occasion, a particular site is hostile to both, and then i am
forced to use Internet Explorer.
*ONLY* when i use IE, i get a lot of crap that i would like to prevent
or suppress.
Some of the crap i get: 1) brown pop-up windows advising of updates to
various Windows OSes, 2) brown pop-ups (falsely) stating that i am
requesting a transfer (of unknown sort).
These happen even when i am in the middle of a "secure" transaction,
like buying something onthe web.
Ther may have been one or two other types of brown pop-ups, but i do
not remember them, as i got so irritated by them that i just ignored the
text and closed the bastards.
Again, how do i prevent (best) or suppress them?

Duane Arnold

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Netscape, and where necessary, Opera.
> But on occasion, a particular site is hostile to both, and then i am
> forced to use Internet Explorer.
> *ONLY* when i use IE, i get a lot of crap that i would like to prevent
> or suppress.
> Some of the crap i get: 1) brown pop-up windows advising of updates to
> various Windows OSes, 2) brown pop-ups (falsely) stating that i am
> requesting a transfer (of unknown sort).
> These happen even when i am in the middle of a "secure" transaction,
> like buying something onthe web.
> Ther may have been one or two other types of brown pop-ups, but i do
> not remember them, as i got so irritated by them that i just ignored the
> text and closed the bastards.
> Again, how do i prevent (best) or suppress them?

I strictly use IE and I don't have any problems with it either. I use
the (free) Popup Stopper, on the NT based O/S such as XP, I disable the
Messenger Service, and I use the HOST. I also have taken IE out of its
default out of the box state on a couple of settings and not let things just
happen.

I got no problems using IE.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html

Duane

Robert Baer

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I use Netscape, and where necessary, Opera.
> > But on occasion, a particular site is hostile to both, and then i am
> > forced to use Internet Explorer.
> > *ONLY* when i use IE, i get a lot of crap that i would like to prevent
> > or suppress.
> > Some of the crap i get: 1) brown pop-up windows advising of updates to
> > various Windows OSes, 2) brown pop-ups (falsely) stating that i am
> > requesting a transfer (of unknown sort).
> > These happen even when i am in the middle of a "secure" transaction,
> > like buying something onthe web.
> > Ther may have been one or two other types of brown pop-ups, but i do
> > not remember them, as i got so irritated by them that i just ignored the
> > text and closed the bastards.
> > Again, how do i prevent (best) or suppress them?

> I strictly use IE and I don't have any problems with it either. I use
> the (free) Popup Stopper, on the NT based O/S such as XP, I disable the
> Messenger Service, and I use the HOST. I also have taken IE out of its
> default out of the box state on a couple of settings and not let things just
> happen.
>
> I got no problems using IE.
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html
>
> Duane

Thanks for all of that informative and useful info!
Am i correct in interpreting that if a site is listed, that it is
blocked?
The example given lists sites for Norton's Anti-virus; would not that
pervent the AutoUpdate function?

Duane Arnold

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Duane Arnold wrote:
> >
> > "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I use Netscape, and where necessary, Opera.
> > > But on occasion, a particular site is hostile to both, and then i am
> > > forced to use Internet Explorer.
> > > *ONLY* when i use IE, i get a lot of crap that i would like to

prevent
> > > or suppress.
> > > Some of the crap i get: 1) brown pop-up windows advising of updates

> > > various Windows OSes, 2) brown pop-ups (falsely) stating that i am
> > > requesting a transfer (of unknown sort).
> > > These happen even when i am in the middle of a "secure" transaction,
> > > like buying something onthe web.
> > > Ther may have been one or two other types of brown pop-ups, but i do
> > > not remember them, as i got so irritated by them that i just ignored

the
> > > text and closed the bastards.
> > > Again, how do i prevent (best) or suppress them?

> > I strictly use IE and I don't have any problems with it either. I

use
> > the (free) Popup Stopper, on the NT based O/S such as XP, I disable the
> > Messenger Service, and I use the HOST. I also have taken IE out of its
> > default out of the box state on a couple of settings and not let things

just
> > happen.
> >
> > I got no problems using IE.
> >
> > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html
> >
> > Duane

> Thanks for all of that informative and useful info!
> Am i correct in interpreting that if a site is listed, that it is
> blocked?

Yes that is correct. The Host is about an application on the machine that
needs to do a URL to IP look up that most coding in any Internet application
will do. If the Host is in play locally on the machine, then the O/S will
use the Host to resolve the URL to IP based on the Domain Name listed in the
Host file. If the IP listed for the Domain Name is 127.0.0.1 the Loop Back
IP, then contact to the remote site is blocked; otherwise if the Domain Name
is not in the Host file, then the O/S will go to the ISP's Domain Name
Server to resolve the URL to IP.

http://compnetworking.about.com/libr.../aa042400c.htm

It doesn't matter if the application that's needing a URL to IP lookup is an
application such as IE or spyware that's running in that background. If the
Domain Name is in the local Host file and the IP is 127.0.0.1, the access to
the remote site will be blocked.

The Loopback IP comes into play all the time by the O/S. If you use Active
Ports (free) and start IE and let IE set for awhile and let it do nothing,
then the O/S will switch IE to the Loop Back IP to keep IE ready for action.

> The example given lists sites for Norton's Anti-virus; would not that
> pervent the AutoUpdate function?

Then remove it from the list and Norton's LiveUpdate will not be blocked.

Duane