Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > problem with "my computer" little icons

problem with "my computer" little icons

fruitbat

I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just to
the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by an
icon for "Hoyles Card Games."

Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when I
select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled the
program.
I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left click
tries to find Hoyles Card Games.

Help please.

Oldus Fartus

fruitbat wrote:

> I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just to
> the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
> The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by an
> icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
>
> Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when I
> select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
> I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled the
> program.
> I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left click
> tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
>
> Help please.

Just a guess. Check in the root of C:\ and I think you will find you
have the AUTORUN.INF file for Hoyle and the ICO file. Delete both of
them and you should be OK.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

mark mandel

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:408a472a$0$16573$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just

> the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
> The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by

an
> icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
>
> Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when I
> select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
> I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled the
> program.
> I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left

click
> tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
>
> Help please.

Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include CW
Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

Mark Mandell

Plato

mark mandel wrote:

> Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
> So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include CW
> Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

colin

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message news:408aad06$0$151$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark mandel wrote:
> >
> > Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
> > So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include

CW
> > Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

> Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
> basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

http://www.safer-networking.org/

http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

fish-breathe

fruitbat

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:408a5b7b$0$16581$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> fruitbat wrote:
>
> > I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just

> > the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
> > The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by

an
> > icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
> >
> > Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when

> > select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
> > I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled

the
> > program.
> > I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left

click
> > tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
> >
> > Help please.
> >

> Just a guess. Check in the root of C:\ and I think you will find you
> have the AUTORUN.INF file for Hoyle and the ICO file. Delete both of
> them and you should be OK.

Yes, you were spot on. There in the root drive was the autorun and ico file.
Both are now deleted and the problem is solved.
I had previously run spybot and adaware without success in the problem. It
now appears there was nothing malicious in the Hoyles program, just that I
accidently installed it in the root drive.

mark mandel

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:408aad06$0$151$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark mandel wrote:
> >
> > Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
> > So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include

CW
> > Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

> Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
> basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

You're right 'bout that. What I was suggesting may simply be overkill.
Sometimes I'll run the CWS just to test if it's working anyway.

Mark