Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to disable the Messenger

How to disable the Messenger

Fred J

How do I get in Windows98 to Services where I could disable the Messenger
not to get so many popups from Messenger? Thanks Fred J

Duane Arnold

"Fred J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:V2kic.61991$mK3.1047258
@weber.videotron.net:

> How do I get in Windows98 to Services where I could disable the

Messenger
> not to get so many popups from Messenger? Thanks Fred J

A Win 9'x O/S doesn't have a Messenger service running on the O/S like a
NT based O/S such as Win 2K or XP has the service.

You may have pop-ups do to some AD Trojan that may be running on the
computer. Have you tried an online scanner like Trend Micro's House Call
and Ad-Aware or Spybot and scanned the machine?

You may want to implement the HOST has a prevention measure after you
clean things up.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html

Duane