Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Uninstalls and the registry?

Reply
Thread Tools

Uninstalls and the registry?

 
 
The Crow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2004
Hi.
I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new network
device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former install
the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The uninstall
process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers half
installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install sends
the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself, does
not work. If you follow me.

So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope that
the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.

So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's been
here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys with
the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.

The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm guessing
it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very frustrated.
Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this one
network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I tried
it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
messages when using regedit.

If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start again?
Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
distraction! Thansk.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2004
You will have to track down and delete the offending items.
"The Crow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GP5ic.35945$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Hi.
> I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new network
> device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
> manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former install
> the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The uninstall
> process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers

half
> installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install sends
> the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself, does
> not work. If you follow me.
>
> So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
> deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope that
> the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
> programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
> before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.
>
> So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's been
> here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
> desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys with
> the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
> associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.
>
> The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm guessing
> it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very

frustrated.
> Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this one
> network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
> perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I tried
> it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
> messages when using regedit.
>
> If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
> before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start again?
> Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
> distraction! Thansk.
>
>



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.662 / Virus Database: 425 - Release Date: 20/04/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Crow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2004

"HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You will have to track down and delete the offending items.


I have tried that, but Regedit says 'access denied' for some of the registry
entries linked to the equipment, the ones I'm trying to get rid of. I'm
just wondering if a third party registry editor would be a little more
aggressive and enable me to delete these ones too, the ones that regedit
says it can't touch.





> "The Crow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GP5ic.35945$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Hi.
> > I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new

network
> > device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
> > manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former

install
> > the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The

uninstall
> > process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers

> half
> > installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install

sends
> > the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself,

does
> > not work. If you follow me.
> >
> > So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
> > deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope

that
> > the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
> > programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
> > before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.
> >
> > So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's

been
> > here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
> > desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys

with
> > the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
> > associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.
> >
> > The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm

guessing
> > it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very

> frustrated.
> > Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this

one
> > network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
> > perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I

tried
> > it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
> > messages when using regedit.
> >
> > If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
> > before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start

again?
> > Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
> > distraction! Thansk.
> >
> >

>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.662 / Virus Database: 425 - Release Date: 20/04/2004
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2004
Just a note here: If you want help with things, you should use an
appropriate return address of some type. You can use a NOSPAM in the proper
name.

Having limited knowledge is dangerous when going in to the registry! I
would guess that you did not make a backup of the registry before adding
anything. We always back up the registry before making any changes or
installing any new software. We also do a complete system backup to the
backup drive.

I have a feeling that you did some really nice damage to the registry. At
this point, I would strongly suggest a re-installation of Win2000. The
registry is very complex, and there is much more than to simply delete file
names in it. There are many complex numeric sequences, and addressing that
go along with installed drivers, and some software's.

Before re-installation of the operating system, you can try to run one of
the registry fixing software's. If it is too badly damaged, this will not
work, but it is worth a try. There is regclean from MS. You may find this
utility at http://www.downloads.com or one of these types of sites.


--

Greetings,

Jerry G.
=====


"The Crow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GP5ic.35945$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
Hi.
I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new network
device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former install
the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The uninstall
process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers half
installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install sends
the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself, does
not work. If you follow me.

So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope that
the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.

So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's been
here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys with
the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.

The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm guessing
it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very frustrated.
Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this one
network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I tried
it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
messages when using regedit.

If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start again?
Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
distraction! Thansk.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
if and and vs if and,and titi VHDL 4 03-11-2007 05:23 AM
Unistalling FF1.5.0.1 also uninstalls TB 1.06 and 1.5 Dave_s Firefox 4 04-01-2006 02:12 PM
Uninstalls and Installs Dora Computer Support 1 05-14-2005 02:31 PM
Sound uninstalls itself PuppyKatt Computer Support 7 01-18-2005 03:08 AM



Advertisments